Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life Insurance testing standards and Primal Diet page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Nothing drives down LDL cholesterol faster than a diet of mainly carbohydrates low in saturated fat. Oatmeal is the darling of cholesterol-fearing housewives everywhere.

Primal potato diet to the rescue?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randomcow View Post
    *bump*

I'm about to have this problem too. I got 315 total cholesterol on the company health check, but I'm thinking there might be a way to temporarily reduce it by, say, eating mainly vegetables and some lean cuts of meat in the two weeks prior to the test. Any thoughts/experience? As much as it pains me I'd probably even consider eating grains for a few weeks if it could save me ~$200 a month off my premiums.

I am limited in my options for insurance as I am working overseas and looking to join a global insurance company. From what I have seen so far they all consider "cholesterol" as a factor.

RC
    Interesting idea. I know that I typically don't eat really fatty meals for the day or two before a blood test, but have no idea if it has any impact or not.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Timthetaco Guest
    randomcow, ignore what I'm about to write if you're diabetic.

I would recommend eating oatmeal at least once a day, with the bulk of your diet consisting of fruit, sweet potatoes, white potatoes and/or white rice, and eating leaner cuts of meat. Perhaps substitute beef and pork for fish more often, if you like fish. I'd also suggest taking it easy on coconut products and full fat dairy. Something like that for a few weeks should hammer your LDL into the ground. Kind of like a paleo mediterranean diet.

randomcow is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies. I think I can definitely substitute out a lot of the (grass-fed) lard and meat. As you say, leaner cuts of meat, seafood... plus perhaps increase ratio of salad/vegetables to meat/oil.

Tim - any reason you suggest introducing rice/potatoes?

I need to do a practice run too. Anyone have any suggestions for how long prior to a test I need to be eating the modified diet before it has a significant impact on my cholesterol?

Oh crap, bacon probably should be cut temporarily too.

RC

Timthetaco Guest
    I suggest it because high fiber, high carbohydrate diets low in saturated fats lower cholesterol. That's why they're commonly recommended by doctors. Doing it wheat-free is more responsible and probably more effective, in my opinion.

randomcow is offline Junior Member
    Ok thanks.

Any idea how a three day fast prior (on regular primal ie not high fibre) would affect things? Although I want all my scores to be within the ranges, and this could affect something else.

Also Mark has not really commented about policosanol use. I wonder whether this could lower LDL levels if I did a course for a month or so prior.

RC

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if there is a way to cheat the cholesterol numbers, like fast for a day or something...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My boyfriend has a book on his shelf called 8 Week Cholesterol Cure, so I'm guessing 8 weeks ought to do it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12