Thread: Paleo/Primal/Low Carb or all 3 of the above? page

MollyMoo is offline Senior Member

Paleo/Primal/Low Carb or all 3 of the above?

Primal Fuel
    At the risk of sounding dumb, I'm interested in what would be the differences between low carb/paleo/primal and the logic behind the differences? I'm a low-carber but after making some dietary changes, I also think I fall into the paleo camp too - minus the sugar in my coffee of course . Typically, it seems that 'low carb' means 50oz steaks with a dozen eggs on the side with zero veggies and god forbid, no bread (how do we survive with no bread?)! The definitions I'm finding for paleo/primal vary from hunting down your own goat to eating whole foods . To me, all 3 ways of eating, as long as it's whole food, make perfect sense and there isn't a naysayer on earth who could convince me to include, er, 'healthy grains'. It's nice to have the science and studies to back up this way of eating but at the end of the day, it's common sense and how it should be. I mean, just why wouldn't you eat this way, which for me is low-carb paleo (I think, lol)?

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    in my opinion the difference between a traditional low carb diet and a paleo/primal low carb diet is that on atkins or whatever you are allowed to eat processed "low carb" food stuffs. while on a paleo/primal diet all processed foods are to be avoided

also keep in mind that the paleo/primal diets are not "low carb" diets. there are many people that eat paleo that do not need to lose weight. their carb intake is likely much higher then those of us that need to lose (a lot) of weight. Paleo/Primal is much more then a diet, it is a way of life

now go kill something and eat it

Thanks Mike, that's pretty much the way I understood it - I guess that puts me in the whole food-Atkins-lowcarb-new to paleo camp then I do need to lose weight so will stick with low-carb foods for now. The change in my health since low carb-whole foods has been stunning and I'm looking only to improve it as I gain more PP knowledge.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    in my opinion the difference between a traditional low carb diet and a paleo/primal low carb diet is that on atkins or whatever you are allowed to eat processed "low carb" food stuffs. while on a paleo/primal diet all processed foods are to be avoided

also keep in mind that the paleo/primal diets are not "low carb" diets. there are many people that eat paleo that do not need to lose weight. their carb intake is likely much higher then those of us that need to lose (a lot) of weight. Paleo/Primal is much more then a diet, it is a way of life

now go kill something and eat it
    True, but its not nearly as high carb as CW says diet should be. If you eat Primal, there isn't that much room for carbs left.

So unless you are very active and add carbs for that reason, Paleo/Primal is relatively low carb. It's just not all there is to it. The Atkins folks are just focused on one thing, reducing carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    True, but its not nearly as high carb as CW says diet should be. If you eat Primal, there isn't that much room for carbs left.

So unless you are very active and add carbs for that reason, Paleo/Primal is relatively low carb. It's just not all there is to it. The Atkins folks are just focused on one thing, reducing carbs.
    Oh I wouldn't say that - this Atkins person was focused on staying alive and losing weight

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I know the first stage of Atkins is sometimes construed as all there is, but they do add in quite a few carbs over time. Sure, not as many as a SAD, but the numbers do go up aqs you reach Maintenance. For me, the biggest difference between Atkins and Primal is the chemicals and sweeteners, which are fine (even if only in moderation) on Atkins and severly restricted in Primal.

ETA: But in reality, eating so many grams of protein and fat kind of do rule out a high level of carbs.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Labhraín is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I just joined here today and have recently lost 48 pounds on Atkins. Even from the very start of Atkins, however, low carb products, artificial sweeteners, etc. have been off limits to me. That is why Primal/Paleo appeals to me. There are, though, quite a few people on Atkins who choose to eat very similar to Primal/Paleo, albeit rather low carb.

I really look forward to learning more about how to improve my Primal lifestyle.