Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal diet for people with MS? page

Ika
    Ika is offline Member

Primal diet for people with MS?

Primal Fuel
    I have multiple sclerosis (asymptomatic ever since I've been primal--YAY!) but I do know there are a lot of speical considerations for people with MS or other autoimmune problems (such as, many need to avoid egg whites, nuts, nightshades, dairy etc). I would be interested to see a blog post on this! =)
    My etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/UrthForged
    *hand-carved wood and bone jewelry*

PoeticPixe is offline Member
    This a a link to Robb Wolf's forums. http://robbwolf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=379 He wrote The Paleo Solution, which is a must read (besides The Primal Blueprint of course). This link is actually pertaining to paleo-eating for those with autoimmune diseases, actually it's specifically to a thread about dietary recommendations for those with MS. I also have MS, and am symptom free (as long as I stay away from "splurges"). I avoid dairy and eggs, those are usually my splurges. Though, I haven't noticed anything major with eggs, so I'm thinking about adding those back in (in moderation). Google autoimmune diseases and paleo, and you'll find a ton of information
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ika View Post
    I have multiple sclerosis (asymptomatic ever since I've been primal--YAY!) but I do know there are a lot of speical considerations for people with MS or other autoimmune problems (such as, many need to avoid egg whites, nuts, nightshades, dairy etc). I would be interested to see a blog post on this! =)
    I agree... would be great to have an MDA blog post on MS/autoimmune issues to refer family & friends. Mark has such a positive and straight-forward approach to things that it could be very beneficial for the non-primal folks out there (and primal peeps too!)

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Just wondering how you are doing, Ika and PoeticPixe - still asymptomatic? Are you two Paleo or Primal? I ask because I also have MS, and have been asymptomatic for the past year (and strictly Paleo). I've been wondering how folks with MS fare being paleo vs. primal.

PrimalPam is offline Member
    Watch this: TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube

It's Dr. Terry Wahls. She's an MD who has MS and is completely asymptomatic with a Primal diet. It's a fascinating video, about 17 minutes long.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal eating alone was not enough for my severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. I do a low lectin version of primal - which is very similar to Rob Wolfs autoimmune protocol. So in addition to the normal primal things - I also eliminated eggs, dairy (except grass-fed ghee), nightshades and nuts. I also find I feel better if I limit coffee and chocolate.

This made a dramatic change in my health. I have been able to eliminate all but one of my arthritis drugs and my joints now look and feel almost completely normal many days.

It's easier for me to tell what food cause issues because I flare within 24 hours of eating some of these. It may be a little harder for you to tell - you may need a longer elimination trial to see what works.

Congrats on your success so far!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPam View Post
    Watch this: TEDxIowaCity - Dr. Terry Wahls - Minding Your Mitochondria - YouTube

It's Dr. Terry Wahls. She's an MD who has MS and is completely asymptomatic with a Primal diet. It's a fascinating video, about 17 minutes long.
    Really amazing stuff in here - I hope the OP can check it out

PrimalPam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Primal eating alone was not enough for my severe Rheumatoid Arthritis. I do a low lectin version of primal - which is very similar to Rob Wolfs autoimmune protocol. So in addition to the normal primal things - I also eliminated eggs, dairy (except grass-fed ghee), nightshades and nuts. I also find I feel better if I limit coffee and chocolate.

This made a dramatic change in my health. I have been able to eliminate all but one of my arthritis drugs and my joints now look and feel almost completely normal many days.

It's easier for me to tell what food cause issues because I flare within 24 hours of eating some of these. It may be a little harder for you to tell - you may need a longer elimination trial to see what works.

Congrats on your success so far!
    Wow, that's awesome! While Dr. Wahl's doesn't go into exact detail about her diet specifics, note that she never mentions eggs, chocolate, nuts, nightshades, or dairy. I bet she avoids these as well.

DeeDeeG is offline Junior Member

Arrow Informed

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPam View Post

I listened to this youTube clip this morning. I was very happy to listen to such an enlightened doc!

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast