Thread: Help with a good base of foods page

jvaldezjr is offline Junior Member

Help with a good base of foods

Primal Fuel
    I'm working on retooling my primal journey for a variety of reasons- I've gotten away from discipline for a variety of different reasons, and ultimately I fall into a pattern of eating junk, sugar, and other bad foods as a matter of emotion, stress, and convenience. So, to help me get back on track I've taken after Mark's list of top 10 foods and improved on it some to help me establish a solid base I can draw from and establish meals with. I'm looking for feedback on my choices, not much of a "Eat this instead or I like this better than that" response. Recipe suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Top 10 Fav Foods
    1 - Eggs
    2 - Bacon
    3 - Dark Chocolate (help with sugar addiction)
    4 - Almonds (especially cocoa roasted)
    5 - Coconut Milk (great for smoothies)
    6 - Almond Butter (awesome peanut butter replacement)
    7 - Green Beans (more green than bean IMO)
    8 - Chicken
    9 - Beef (in all forms, steaks, roast, ground)
    10 - Butter

Honorable Mentions
    1 - Coconut Oil (like to cook with, eat with fruits)
    2 - Broccoli (I'm a floret guy, hate the stalks, great stir fry veg)
    3 - Tuna (My main choice for a salad)
    4 - Salmon (Wild caught and grilled is best)
    5 - Salad mixes (Different types of greens- I prefer these or ease of making a salad rather than a head of lettuce)
    6 - Alcohol (Guiness or Red Wine I prefer)
    7 - Whey Protien (Needed for smoothies)
    8 - Peas (This includes snap peas)
    9 - Carrots (Crunchy cold, or steamed)

Why Fruits aren't in the top 10
    - I have a habit of eating more than I should, to compensate for lack of veges
    - Some fruits are NOT good (bananas anyone, High GI)
    - Most are seasonal and I'm looking to establish a good food base year round.

That said- here are a list of fav fruits:
    1 - Grapefruit (ruby red is the best)
    2 - Clementines (they peel real easily and 2 is often enough)
    3 - Strawberries (they are great at any meal)
    4 - Blackberries (I love popping the little berries inside my mouth)
    5 - Blueberries
    I do like bananas, but I don't think they have a place here as a staple.

Thanks again to this great community for your feedback and support.

joerockets@hotmail.com is offline Junior Member
    I vary what I eat a lot except for breakfast. Using your aforementioned favorites, my favorite breakfast is:

1) 2 strips bacon (uncured TJ or applegate brand), chopped then cooked
    2) some ground beef cooked or reheated in said bacon (usually, i brown 1-2lbs of ground beef on sunday and put it in a container. After that, it's a matter of reheating it with the bacon)
    3) 3 eggs scrambled and thrown in after beef is heated (no need to season anything since the bacon is salty enough)
    4) scoop onto a pile of mixed greens (usually earthbound farms herb or spring mix, pre washed)
    5) line with sliced strawberries and blueberries (sometimes throw in baby carrots)

With a good prep (the pre cooked ground beef) and a decent knife for slicing bacon (ceramic knife, $50 and no need to sharpen for a year or two) I got the time down to 15 minutes cooking with another 15 minutes eating. This has since become my favorite morning ritual and honestly, it's really satisfying for me to have the nice peaceful time to enjoy a meal that satiates me for a good 4 hours. This is one of the best habits I've developed and so colorful and appetizing. I can't believe I used to settle for instant oatmeal with dehydrated blueberries.

With your other ingredients, I particularly like blanched then sauteed Broccoli with coconut oil and grated Parmesan cheese. You can skip the cheese if ur not into dairy.

1) cut up broccoli (if it's not already cut up)
    2) boil water. Throw in broccoli when water boils. Wait 2 minutes or so
    3) drain then saute lightly with coconut oil and either salt or parmesan cheese or nothing. (Sometimes I use a little toasted sesames)

Blanching takes away some of the bitterness and makes the broccoli a little less crunchy without making it soggy. I always dread straight up saute because I could never get a good texture/firmness. This way seems to be a good compromise.

Hope this helps.