Thread: Protein powder recommendations? page

ConcoursAL is offline Junior Member

Protein powder recommendations?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been Primal for the last 1 1/2 months and started doing a leptin reset almost two weeks ago. I'd like to have the option, especially in the morning, of having a protein shake. Any recommendations as to what type and brand of powder? I was going to go with whey isolate, but I've seen comments that it can have an adverse effect on triglycerides. Mine were high at my checkup this past May (along with my total chol.), so getting them down is one of my priorities along with the 75-80 lbs. I would like to drop. Thanks!

smartin08 is offline Junior Member
    I think the whole adverse effect on triglycerides issue is different for every individual. Some people have not had any issues with it.

Personally I use the Pure Protein powder. It packs 25g of protein per scoop and it's yummy.

I don't know of any powders that are solely whey concentrate, which is what I believe you're asking for. Pure Protein has both concentrate (1st ingredient) and isolate.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    NOW Foods has an unflavored 100% whey isolate. Don't know anything about the impact on triglycerides, though.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i think it has more to do with its effect on insulin then the impact on triglycerides. Whey is insulinogenic, which means it will spike your insulin levels very quickly, something you do not want while trying to do a leptin reset
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I've used protein powder in the past. It really helped me put on weight. I've now stopped eating industrially processed foods, so protein powder is out.

Gordo