Thread: Day 3 Afraid I'm all WRONG!!!! page

JennyE is offline Junior Member

Day 3 Afraid I'm all WRONG!!!!

Hi Everyone! As my headline says, I am having headaches everyday, can anyone tell me why? Also, I fear I am not eating enough fat. here's what I ate yesterday:
    Breakfast:
    2 scrambled eggs
    Snack(s):
    a couple handfulls of almonds
    a couple handfulls of blueberries
    grilled chicken
    hardboiled egg
    strawberries
    Dinner:
    homecooked cheesburger, no bread, one slice of cheese
    a little ketchup
    salad: 1/2 avaocado, iceburg lettuce, tomato, cucumber
    Dressing: Balsamic, olive oil, dijon mustard, seasonings.
    Watermellon
    1 cup coffee

Please offer advice, suggestions tips, I'm afraid I'm going Primal all wrong!!! I want to loose about 50lbs, I know, no scale, how about 4 pant sizes?
    lots of water

Griff is offline Senior Member
    OK, you need to up your fats and cut down your carbs. Ditch the nuts and fruit for a while; get your carbs from leafy green veggies.

Also, you need to calm down, you've been doing this for three days! SLOW DOWN. RELAX. Cortisol, which is produced in reaction to stress, is a great way to keep yourself heavy.

The headache is likely the low-carb flu. You're withdrawing from carb addiction; your body is going to try to force you back on it. Don't do it. Look up 'low-carb flu' on this site for many, many people's stories about their experiences.

Use something like fitday.com or thedailyplate.com to track your food for the first few weeks so you can get an idea of where else you need to tweak it. To lose weight (especially to jump-start weight loss) you need to cut your carbs down to the bone - 20g or less per day - and increase fat intake to at least 70% of your calories. Don't worry about calorie counts right now. Just work on upping the fats and cutting the carbs, and learning your body's signals about hungry and full.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I really don't see anything wrong. What was a typical day BEFORE?

One thing I notice is that I get headaches if I'm dehydrated. While Mark suggests to only drink when you're thirsty, I have found that definitely doesn't work for me. I'd go a week without a sip if I only drank when thirsty.

Silky is offline Senior Member
    I agree it's either carb flu which will pass, or if you have given up caffeine cold turkey it can be caffeine withdrawal.

Did you have lunch or just snacks?

Also ia agree with griff, limit the almonds and watermelon for now.

swalker is offline Member
    Give it some time, your body is adjusting. I got headaches too initially. Now I don't even get them with my periods like I used to.

alexgrace is offline Member
    My first thought is: are you eating enough? At first glance (and, of course, I don't have your exact volumes), you look like you could be sub-1000 calories.

You might very well get headaches if your calorie count is too low.

As griff says, do monitor through fitday/dailyplate just to make sure you are eating enough and also to measure your carbs, protein and fat intake.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I would eat that avocado whole; replace ketchup, with mustard in its place; cut down the berry intake to about half a handful. I'm doing what I can, personally, to take out fruits from my equation for the time being. If I do get fruits, it's only sparingly. Also, what's your height/weight? Another thing probably would be not eating to the point of satiety?

wendyland is offline Senior Member
    I had a headache for at least 4 - 5 days. I think the first 2 weeks were the hardest. After 4 weeks, I was in a habit. Then, I went on vacation.....

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexgrace View Post
    My first thought is: are you eating enough? At first glance (and, of course, I don't have your exact volumes), you look like you could be sub-1000 calories.

You might very well get headaches if your calorie count is too low.

As griff says, do monitor through fitday/dailyplate just to make sure you are eating enough and also to measure your carbs, protein and fat intake.
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Coyote is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had killer headaches for almost three weeks straight as soon as I started cutting carbs. I wasn't even fully Primal, just slowly cutting back. You're eating quite a bit of fruit (I think some other folks pointed that out) and you may want to consider actually counting your carbs with some sort of food tracker. SparkPeople tells me that two cups of blueberries has 41 carbs, two cups of strawberries has 22 carbs, and two cups of watermelon has about the same as the strawberries. If you're eating all that in one day, you're already at ~85 carbs with just the fruit.

I LOVE fruit, but I'm having to limit myself to one serving a day. It sucks because fruit is just like candy for me, but if I want to lose any weight it's going to have to be that way.