Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: To Health and Happiness page

Heidi is offline Senior Member

To Health and Happiness

Shop Now
    I'm ready to make a commitment to my health and to find happiness, not in food, but in life's journey. This has been a long time coming. And I guess every journal needs a plan and goals, so here goes.

My current plan (edited as suggested, thanks everyone!):
    - 80g carb limit per day
    - 4+ cups of vegetables per day
    - fruit in moderation and not every day
    - 100+g protein per day
    - satisfy hunger with a fair amount of fat intake
    - let go of mistakes and quickly move on

My August 1st goals:
    - lose 8 lbs
    - drop 2% bodyfat
    - drop 5" (combined from waist, hips, right thigh, and right calf measurements)

As I (hopefully) progress into this new lifestyle, my plan and goals will reflect these changes. Here's to health and happiness in 2011 and beyond!
    Last edited by Heidi; 07-08-2011 at 02:31 PM.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Two things you need to address already:

1. Make that vegetables and fruits, not fruits and vegetables. Make fruit a very occasional treat.
    2. Where are your fats? You can't do this without increasing fats.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Digby is offline Senior Member
    What Griff said, plus some kind of tracking so you know how you are doing. I use Livestrong.com. All the best!
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

belinda is offline Senior Member
    What happens on the 7th day? Is that the day you undo all the good you did for your body on the previous six days?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Yes, but with a caveat. Heidi, since you have only 8 pounds to lose, one of your biggest concerns is going to be calories. A lot of people on here will tell you to load up your vegetables with butter and eat coconut oil by the spoonful and gargle with bacon fat. Saturated fat is essential and should not be avoided but it is still high in calories.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Two things you need to address already:

1. Make that vegetables and fruits, not fruits and vegetables. Make fruit a very occasional treat.
    I totally agree that my vegetable intake needs to come before fruit intake. I went primal last year for a few months. Felt great, but decided to up my fruit intake for summer because all the yummy fruits were in season. Ended up going overboard with the fruit and it kicked up my cravings for sugar. Before I knew it, I was back to my old SAD eating habits and up 30 lbs.

I suppose increasing fats is a must, but it's going to be hard because I like lean cuts of meat. If I go heavy on the eggs like last time, it shouldn't be a problem. Is there is standard for fat intake? I don't recall the Primal Blueprint book mentioning any set percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    What Griff said, plus some kind of tracking so you know how you are doing. I use Livestrong.com. All the best!
    I'm used to tracking the good, bad, and ugly days! Sparkpeople.com is the tracker I use. Might check out Livestrong.com to see if I'm missing out on anything.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    So the 8lb loss is your mini goal I presume? Sounds like you may have a problem with sugar and I would dump the fruit.

Quote Originally Posted by belinda View Post
    What happens on the 7th day? Is that the day you undo all the good you did for your body on the previous six days?
    Well, um, er...maaybe. It didn't sound so bad when I first wrote it down, but a 'free' day every week probably is going to set me up for failure. Thanks for mentioning that. I'll change the plan and figure out a different way to ease into primal eating. Maybe a 'free' meal each week instead of an entire day or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
    Yes, but with a caveat. Heidi, since you have only 8 pounds to lose, one of your biggest concerns is going to be calories. A lot of people on here will tell you to load up your vegetables with butter and eat coconut oil by the spoonful and gargle with bacon fat. Saturated fat is essential and should not be avoided but it is still high in calories.
    Sorry for not being clear with the weight loss. I have way more than 8 lbs to lose. I just wanted to do a mini goal since it's going to take me a while to lose all the weight. I don't like butter or coconut oil much and bacon is an occasional treat (price is high where I live), so eggs are my primary source of saturated fat. I'm hoping that works out well.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast