Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Um, the *other* Primal Diet? page 4

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

While we may acquire tastes for things initially off-putting, there is a reason why things like rotting meat.... and shit.... naturally repulse us. It's your DNA talking.

We aren't supposed to eat them. Cooked or not.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

OTB, that's not a very valued argument and in the same line as "we should eat what we crave because that's how our body tells us what we need".

I watched the video and although my face was in disgust throughout the entire time, I do get the concept and I find it pretty interesting.

Shine is offline Member

If rotten meat is ideal, wouldn't this suggest that early humans were scavengers rather than hunters? This doesn't make sense; I thought that hunting and the activities associated with cleaning an animal were the primary driver in the development of tools. If there was no challenge of killing and cleaning animals, what other impetus existed for primal technology?

Perhaps after hunting an animal they stored the unused portions of meat for later use. Without salt the meat would naturally rot.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

And at some point they let the dogs or vultures finish it off!

Touche' on the prior argument, chippers. I did think of that, but was hoping no one would! Very good!

maba is offline Senior Member

[quote]

wouldn&#39;t this suggest that early humans were scavengers rather than hunters?</blockquote>

I read somewhere, I think Dr.Eades&#39; blog, that early humans were indeed scavengers.

Katt is offline Senior Member

I don&#39;t think our early ancestors would have passed up a free meal. The theory on disgust is that we developed that feeling to warn us away from things we truly shouldn&#39;t eat, and that cultural food preferences and experience are learned symptoms of disgust.

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Can you eat raw meat from the supermarket? I&#39;m going to try it.

¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Shine is offline Member

Interesting, Maba. I didn&#39;t know that early humans were actually scavengers. I wonder what led to the transition to hunting as a means of acquiring food.

Do cravings and repulsions act on the same principle? I know that they seem to be direct inverses of the same function, but are they actually two distinct processes?

We agree that the sugar craving is biologically wired from a time when sugars were rare, and that heeding our bodies&#39; craving for sugar is not beneficial to our health in the face of abundant sugar. But this is a drive towards a food; what about a drive away from a food? Perhaps in the instances of aversion we are right in following our instinctual disgust.

But then that brings me to something which Katt touched on. Cultural food preferences are so deeply ingrained in most of us that we find it difficult to overcome disgust for certain foods that are not actually harmful. For example, most Americans would have considerable difficulty overcoming a disgust for eating insects, whereas plenty of southeast Asians consume insects with no detrimental health effects.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Raphael S.I wouldn&#39;t eat raw meat from a supermarket unless you&#39;re hoping to catch E-coli. They just recently had another meat recall.

CAFO meats are very susceptible to E-coli bacteria because of the feed. Grass-fed animals never get it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast