Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great T-Nation Article page

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    This should be stickied.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I read that the other day and I have followed that principle for the last few years. I train specifically for my sports (LAX and Rugby) and also have one day of balls out lifting where I always try to train as intensely as possible. No 2 workouts have been the same for the last 11 months. It's worked so far.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps I'm lucky and I've only trained at good gyms or with good people but I've never encountered and individual (male at least, no offense to females but never trained with them for any considerable amount of time) that didn't try to improve in any sense of the word, more weight, more reps, more volume in general... so I guess I assumed that's how everyone trained.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Perhaps I'm lucky and I've only trained at good gyms or with good people but I've never encountered and individual (male at least, no offense to females but never trained with them for any considerable amount of time) that didn't try to improve in any sense of the word, more weight, more reps, more volume in general... so I guess I assumed that's how everyone trained.
    It isn't dude. When I used to train in a public gym, I would see the same people do the same exercises over and over again and remain as round (if not getting rounder) as the day they started. There were a few people that mixed things up, but it was mostly dumbasses on the bench or dumbasses doing curls in the squat rack. The only people that I saw deadlift or squat were women. But then they would do some bosu-ball thing.
    I am not being an elitist, but when you work at something for a year and things either don't change or change for the worse, then you need to re-evaluate and go in a different direction.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    This is pretty much the intro to Starting Strength, word for word. This is gospel truth for novices.

That said, I was happy to read in Practical Programming, that he takes a few steps back when it comes to "masters" athletes (I'm 40). I get beat up too much squatting 3x a week increasing each time, and felt I was a wuss. I'm switching to a Wendler 5/3/1 set up so I can keep progressing but at a slower rate. I'm hitting PRs every 3 weeks instead of each session.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    ....I am not being an elitist, but when you work at something for a year and things either don't change or change for the worse, then you need to re-evaluate and go in a different direction.
    ^^^This

Most of us are crazy we just dont know it.

doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IcarianVX View Post
    It isn't dude. When I used to train in a public gym, I would see the same people do the same exercises over and over again and remain as round (if not getting rounder) as the day they started. There were a few people that mixed things up, but it was mostly dumbasses on the bench or dumbasses doing curls in the squat rack. The only people that I saw deadlift or squat were women. But then they would do some bosu-ball thing.
    I am not being an elitist, but when you work at something for a year and things either don't change or change for the worse, then you need to re-evaluate and go in a different direction.
    I think you're misinterpreting this article. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting you.
    It's not about changing exercises, it's about adding weight to the bar regularly.
    I can't imagine Rip objecting to people doing low bar squats every workout for a LONG time.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    I think you're misinterpreting this article. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting you.
    It's not about changing exercises, it's about adding weight to the bar regularly.
    I can't imagine Rip objecting to people doing low bar squats every workout for a LONG time.
    His plan is actually every workout until you quit lifting or die, barring physical inability.

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member
    That's good stuff, right there.

As someone who is the epitome of Rip's novice, that makes a shit-ton of sense to me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast