Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Confused about Dairy and Watermellon page 3

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyE View Post
    I ate a piece of cheese last night, no bread, and 4 bites of watermellon, was curious what PB said about dairy, it wasn't that clear to me in the book. I had heard from a friend also on PB that all mellons were high carbohydrate and sugar which made me worry about when/how much of it I could eat. I want to lose about 50lbs, but I'll settle for 30. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    I think melons were on the moderate intake list because they are higher glycemic index. They produce a higher insulin response so if you are really trying to lose weight you want it not so often and not tons of it. Milk is ok if you aren't intolerant of the lactose and or casein in it. This is also something you shouldn't drink much of though because of a higher insulin response.

JennyE is offline Junior Member
    Thank you Raiken! Is there an official good/moderate/bad list out there that I can refer to?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Thank you Raiken! Is there an official good/moderate/bad list out there that I can refer to?
    Here's one for fruit:

The Best Low-Carb Fruits (and the Worst)
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Sigh....you act as if just because someones saying that calories effect things is bad......
    Not at all. I just said that calorie theory is weak, because it is.

To repeat, it is like saying a tire is just a tire and that is all there is too it. But a flat tire is not the same as an inflated tire, and a truck tire is not the same as a bicycle tire.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    I think melons were on the moderate intake list because they are higher glycemic index. They produce a higher insulin response so if you are really trying to lose weight you want it not so often and not tons of it. Milk is ok if you aren't intolerant of the lactose and or casein in it. This is also something you shouldn't drink much of though because of a higher insulin response.
    Good. This is not calorie theory. It makes sense.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    EAT THIS, NOT THAT

In a nutshell....

PRIMAL DIET EAT THIS, NOT THAT

EAT THIS*
    YOU CAN AND SHOULD EAT IT. In fact, it should be the backbone of your diet.*
    - Meat (preferably grass-fed)
    - Poultry (preferably free-range)
    - Fish (preferably wild-caught)
    - Eggs (preferably cage-free)
    - Non-starchy and/or green vegetables (preferably organic)
    - Avocado
    - Butter (preferably from grass-fed cows)
    - Lard
    - Ghee
    - Coconut oil
    - Coconut milk
    - Olive oil (but not for cooking)
    - A berry (up to a handful)

NOT THAT
    YOU SHOULD NOT EAT IT. Throw it away (unless it's a cleaning or stationery product, in which case use it for its appropriate purpose).
    - A legume (bean, pea, peanut)
    - A grain (wheat, corn, rice) or made of a grain (cereal, oatmeal, bread, cake, tortilla, pasta)
    - A processed food product
    - A "low-fat" manufactured food product
    - A "low-carb" manufactured food product
    - A "diet" manufactured food product
    - Anything with an ingredient that ends in "ose" (sucrose, glucose, fructose) or that contains sugar, agave nectar, honey, or maple syrup
    - Anything from the center aisles of the grocery store...

EAT IN MODERATION
    - Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cream, sour cream, half & half) whole milk (not low-fat)
    - Nuts (peanuts are not nuts)
    - A seed
    - A fruit other than a berry
    - A starchy or sugary vegetable (carrot, beet, winter squash)
    - A tuber (potato, sweet potato, yam)
    - A nightshade (tomato, bell pepper)
    - Coffee

UNLESS:
    - You are trying to lose weight (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, and tubers)
    - You are lactose intolerant (for dairy)
    - You are significantly inactive/sedentary
    - You are insulin resistant (for dairy, nuts, fruits, starchy vegetables, tubers, and coffee)
    - You want to go 100% evolutionary diet and avoid anything we aren't sure paleo man ate

Moderation on Milk is partly because it contains one of those oses which is why you want it in moderation or possibly not at all if losing weight depending on how it effects you. Some people can lose weight plenty fast with moderate milk intake. It has lactose which is a type of sugar. I think everyone reading any of these posts probably knows this but just in case I figured I'd throw it out there.

Basically what I would say is if you go a few days without milk and than add milk back and there seem to be no tolerance issues and your still losing your two pounds a week it won't hurt to continue drinking in moderation even while losing weight. That's my take on it at least.

Also fermented dairy products are supposed to be really good for you....in particular because of probiotics I think which help build healthy gut flora. For more details on what specifically fermented dairy is....someone else can detail or you can probably google it for good answers I don't know much besides I think sour cream off the top of my head....unless I were to really think about it.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-08-2011 at 07:43 PM.

So I'm sorta curious how does lactose compare to other sugars I notice on my milk bottle it doesn't list sugar it only lists lactose so I'm assuming the 11 grams of carbs which is the Sugar listed is the lactose. Is it processed the same as glucose or like fructose or what? I ask here instead of searching myself in case someone else is curious.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-08-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123