Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confused about Dairy and Watermellon page 2

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    If the energy isn't used for something/burned its either going to be part of the body as muscle and or fat depending on if the body decides to build muscle or store it.
    See, I take issue with this statement. Insulin is the mechanism that stores energy, no? So if there is no insulin, then you can't store any energy. Now, insulin is ALWAYS present in the human body to a degree, so if you eat just pure oil while fasting, there is still insulin to shuttle that oil somewhere. The question is, how much does that count? Oil calories should in theory be worth the least because they have the least insulin response to shuttle them somewhere, which is the theory behind the high fat diet. Higher fat = less insulin = less fat storage.

The body isn't zero sum. We don't store or burn everything we take in. What your body doesn't use, you literally "crap it out." Simply put, if you eat lower insulin-generating food, it stands to reason that you would have higher calorically dense fecal matter. This whole notion of the energy having to go somewhere is a major fallacy in human thought. It can easily pass right through you. If your body doesn't think you need to store the energy, it won't.

If you eat bread with it the bread will be used first for energy and if you don't need the energy from the oil it'll be stored as fat.
    But will it? Adding butter would lessen the glycemic load of the bread, no? If the slower absorption releases overall less insulin over the digestive period, would you wind up shuttling less fat into storage because less insulin is available to do so, therefore causing more of the food to "pass through your body" untouched? I'd be VERY curious to see a study where one group eats bread without butter and the other group eats bread with butter and see what happens to their overall weight.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-08-2011 at 08:58 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Yep. One reality check for what choco is saying is a type 1 diabetic that does not get insulin. They get very thin. Why? No insulin.

This happened to my grandfather who died from it when my dad was a child. He could not afford insulin and was thin as a rail.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    I've read them both . My main point was that oil calories count.... you get energy from oil. Saying they don't count is the same as saying you get nothing from them. If anything you eat doesn't contribute to you than its because your body gets rid of it either by excreting or using it.

If the energy isn't used for something/burned or excretedits either going to be part of the body as muscle and or fat depending on if the body decides to build muscle or store it.

If you eat bread with it the bread will be used first for energy and if you don't need the energy from the oil it'll be stored as fat..or excreted

I'm fairly certain energy you get from eating is either used to make muscle, used to make fat, used in other processes ie digestion etc. The energy that is contained in the fat/muscle or other types of tissues all weigh a certain amount and than the waste/other things the body deems unnecessary left over is expelled from the body and thus makes your weight go down.
    Ok some good points are my corrections good enough?

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    That is still calorie theory.

Flat tires are still tires, and they roll kind of, but you don't get very far.

Why use a weak theory? Insulin explains it better. I don't get it.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i dont eat dairy and i dont like watermelon

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Calories theory heh?

I've read both Taubes books. My opinion is very different of when I read them. "Eat as much as you want of meats and this and that and not grains and you won't get fat"... is that so...

Sigh....you act as if just because someones saying that calories effect things is bad....If you eat 0 calories it'll produce no insulin but you will also die. Of course what you eat matters if you want to be healthy; no one is saying otherwise. Calories in Calories out is not as simple as CW suggests but it is essentially true. If your body loses energy by excreting it as waste or just because it decides not to use it that energy has mass and you will lose weight/mass. If your body puts that energy into your cells either fat/muscle/connective ...etc...it will be part of your weight/mass.

One of the more interesting things Taubes mentions is people eating 10000 calories on a high fat/high protein and low carb diet not gaining weight. Hes not saying they don't gain it at all they do. They weigh more based on the mass ie energy the food is made of. The reason when weighed that they don't go up in weight is that in a low insulin system the body will get rid of the extra by increasing metabolism which means it'll be used in work/exercise or excreted. When weighing in a test they do so periodically not after every meal.

If you weigh yourself after a meal you will weigh more because you have more in you....obviously but over time some of that will be excreted as part of sweat/excrement/pee and other waste materials that leave the body in various ways...(Can't think of other waste or methods, but there are others...maybe..not sure since I'm not an expert) So when you weigh later your weight is down.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-08-2011 at 10:09 AM.

JennyE is offline Junior Member

A follow-up question

I ate a piece of cheese last night, no bread, and 4 bites of watermellon, was curious what PB said about dairy, it wasn't that clear to me in the book. I had heard from a friend also on PB that all mellons were high carbohydrate and sugar which made me worry about when/how much of it I could eat. I want to lose about 50lbs, but I'll settle for 30. I appreciate everyone's feedback.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Calories theory heh?

I've read both Taubes books. My opinion is very different of when I read them. "Eat as much as you want of meats and this and that and not grains and you won't get fat"... is that so...
    Nope, not at all. Meat still generates quite a bit of insulin, especially beef. You can get fat off of meat. The thing is, it's very difficult to. While meat generates a significant insulin response, it's nothing compared to grains and most dairy. Add to that the fact that meat keeps you full for a long time so you naturally eat less of it and you're in a situation where in order to get fat off of meat, you have to constantly stuff your face. If you go to Fogo de Chao every day and stuff your gut full of 5 pounds of meat for dinner (like I will be doing yet again in two weeks), you're going to have problems. However, eating until you're full but your gut isn't exploding...meat's not going to turn you into a lard ass...err...or should I say grain ass?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast