Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Primal...should I also start Leptin reset? page

indigogirl is offline Senior Member

Starting Primal...should I also start Leptin reset?

I'm a newbie gearing up to start Primal.
    I have yo-yoed for the last 25 years. Currently coming off hCG.
    I am 58, 169 lbs, wanting to ultimately get down to the 120's-130's...
    I am undoubtedly leptin resistant.
    Should I start Primal and leptin reset at the same time?
    Also hypothyroid, taking cytomel and levothyroxine. How do I eat breakfast 30 minutes after awakening if I have to take my thyroid meds upon arising, 1/2 hour before eating?
    Thanking you in advance for your opionions.
    Indigogirl

smartin08 is offline Junior Member
    You probably could, but maybe you want to get used to the Primal WOE first. Try it for 30 days.

If you do decide to dive in to both at the same time, can't you take your meds when you wake up and then eat 30 minutes later? Seems like that works out fine, unless I misunderstood.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    If you really feel like it. IMO, its a pretty big transition to go primal, and it might be easier to first go to primal foods (and eat them whenever you'd like) and THEN try a leptin reset after a month or so of being fully primal (if you still feel you need it.) It's not something I would personally recommend a person brand new to primal doing because its hard enough to change your entire way of eating by cutting certain foods/food groups. Having the option to snack on real foods (hard boiled eggs, jerky, fruit, veggies, etc) when you are getting cravings for foods you used to eat can really help you get through the transition. You may also find that you start moving towards a leptin reset style of eating naturally (many folks who transition to primal stop snacking and just eat 2-3 meals a day as their hunger dictates which can be very in line with a leptin reset.)

Just my .02. The leptin reset is a relatively new thing being discussed on the forums. I personally would stay away from the forums as a primal newbie, and stick to the primal blueprint 101 links until you've got the basics down personally (see the links in my sig.)

HTH! Good luck with whatever you do!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

indigogirl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for your input Smartin08 and FairyRae.
    I think I will do Primal for awhile and then see if I need to do the leptin reset.
    Last edited by indigogirl; 07-08-2011 at 08:12 AM. Reason: sp.
    Indigogirl

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    How long do you have to wait between taking your meds and eating?

If that's the only glitch and the window isn't so huge, I don't see why you couldn't do both if you really want to. You might have to 80/20 the leptin part a little if you have to wait a little longer to have breakfast or some such. But at least getting going on primal eating is a great start all by itself. Then, while you're doing that, talk to your doc about the meds and see what he/she has to say.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Do one well, then do another.

-Good advice for just about everything.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

nolineon is offline Member
    Hey Indigo --

Welcome. I will join in with the "every journey begins with a first step" chorus. There's a lot of personal success stories on the boards from people that can attest to the effectiveness of PB. Not so much for Leptin reset stuff yet. I'd hold off on the Leptin deal until the guniea pigs out there start reporting in. Not to mention the somewhat erratic and colorful nature to the posts from the guy who's leading this band of brave explorers into as yet uncharted territory.

Odds are you will still see results, probably pretty dramatic ones at that, if you continue to wait 1/2 hour before eating as I presume you are now. If you feel like you want to bump up your breakfast after a week or two of going primal you should first consult your physician before changing your routine while taking medication. I take Levo daily and was giving myself a 15 minute lead before eating breakfast. Since going on a Leangains 16/8 IF protocol (which is not recommended for folks just starting primal) I haven't noticed any difference between giving myself hours before breakfast and when I was only giving the meds 15 min lead time. According to Wikipedia, Cytomel has a faster absorption rate and a shorter half-life so it's probably not the one that's holding up your breakfast.

Overall I'd say it's a good idea to approach this like you're doing a puzzle. Be patient and recognize that each new thing you learn and each change you make is a new piece in the puzzle. Don't feel like you need to do everything exactly right immediately to see results. Stick to PB, remember the 80/20 rule and you will likely see dramatic results in no time. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Last edited by nolineon; 07-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Indigo-

Welcome and good luck.

I take thyroid meds too. I take T3 just as I wake up, and shoot for breakfast in about 1/2 hr, but I don't watch the clock. I wouldn't worry about it.

There is no reason to hold off on your LR. It's still primal. You are just timing primal meals and starting out the day with primal protein. No big deal.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I take thyroid meds too. I take T3 just as I wake up, and shoot for breakfast in about 1/2 hr, but I don't watch the clock. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Yep. The timing is perfect. I just keep my thyroid meds by my bed and take them right when I get up. Half an hour later, I eat my big protein breakfast. I don't time it precisely. I don't think there's a substantial difference if I eat in 29 minutes or 31 minutes. I ballpark it.

My advice is to try to shoot for leptin reset patterns but don't beat yourself up about it if you're not 100% compliant right away. I think it's better to have a snack here and there rather than burn out on this lifestyle change because it's too much too soon. You're in it for the long haul.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    My advice is to try to shoot for leptin reset patterns but don't beat yourself up about it if you're not 100% compliant right away. I think it's better to have a snack here and there rather than burn out on this lifestyle change because it's too much too soon. You're in it for the long haul.
    I think this is great advice if you really want to do the LR. When I personally started primal I got the advice to try not to snack and to eat 3 separate meals instead of grazing (which is very in line w/ the leptin reset stuff), and I found it very helpful. I also found that I stopped *needing* to eat so often when lowering carbs and eating primal foods to satiation at meals, so working to limit snacking might end up not being a big deal for you. I personally also made sure if I was really hungry or feeling an urge to eat something that was not primal, that eating something primal (nuts, jerky, veggies, fruit, meat, etc...) instead of trying not to snack was really helpful.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast