Thread: Newbie: Am I eating enough + does it look Primally balanced? page

Nibbler is offline Senior Member

Newbie: Am I eating enough + does it look Primally balanced?

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone! I am nearing the end of my second week eating Primally. I started off using MDA, Everyday Paleo and Robb Wolf's websites and I am now waiting for the PB book from Amazon (and others!). Sometimes I have been absolutely ravenous and tired, although remarkably happy lately and my skin looks like someone elses... it's not grey anymore! Anyway, coming from a low fat, high fibre diet, I have been 100% primal from Day 1 (I guess it's still early days for slip ups though). So to troubleshoot the hunger, I was wondering if some more experienced PBers would cast an eye over my daily food intake?

Today’s breakfast: 2 x slice back bacon, 2 x eggs + 1 large field mushroom fried in bacon-y pan with coconut oil, and a handful of fresh raspberries
    AM snack: Large stick of celery smeared with about a tbsp of almond butter
    Lunch will be left over thai green curry from last night
    PM snacks if I want them will be choice of hard boiled egg or unpasteurized french brie + a cup of homemade chicken bone broth when I get home.
    Tonight I am going out to a seafood restaurant for dinner to celebrate exam results; looked at the menu online and I might have crab soup and a fishy salad or maybe oysters + steak + salad. Whatever is most primal or customizable.

Yesterday I was in a big rush so I just had 1 slice of back bacon, 1 egg fried with coconut oil + 1 small glass local raw milk
    AM snack: handful plain pecans
    Lunch was at a pub due to AM event: smoked duck, apple and walnut salad (with salad leaves obv.) and balsamic vinegar (I don’t normally eat out twice a week, usually twice a month if I’m lucky!)
    PM snack was about 120g cold cooked prawns with glug of walnut oil, handful of fresh raspberries and a whole small carrot
    Dinner: Thai green curry cooked in coconut oil and made with green curry paste, coconut milk, chicken thighs, prawns, butternut squash and green peppers

I can’t remember what I had on Wednesday except that I had salmon and veg in the evening! I think it was eggs for breakfast then random leftovers. So, Tuesday:
    Breakfast: ˝ avocado, 2 eggs scrambled with red pepper and spring onions in coconut oil
    AM snack: sliced apple with almond butter
    Midday: 100g turkey breast
    PM light meal: 1 smoked mackerel fillet + salad leaves and cherries
    In car on way to eve appt: 2 squares of 70% dark choc
    Dinner: leftover roast chicken meat + a rasher of back bacon mixed with a dollop of ‘paleo mayo’ (homemade) served between two roasted large field mushrooms, with a spinach tomato and yellow pepper salad dressed with EVOO and balsamic vinegar

For US readers, I think you know back bacon as Canadian bacon…? Basically it’s a bigger rasher which is mostly meat with only a thin strip of fat along the edge instead of through it (cos it’s not from the belly, it’s from the back!).
    I drink as much water and green tea as I want and I have a small glass of red wine maybe 1-3 times a week at the most (total lightweight). I might have a glass of coconut water or local (less than 3 miles away!) raw milk after a workout or in the morning.
    My goals are for health and to become more toned and sculpted rather than weightloss per se. I have stubborn cellulite that makes me miserable, yet I only weigh about 60KG and at 5'6" I have a BMI of 21, so I'm hoping my goals won't be too far out of reach. This week I have swapped from jogging and once-a-week-bootcamp-hell to PB style fitness (doing what I can! handstand press ups = FAIL! Ouch my HEAD!).

I'd love to hear your opinions and thoughts on the above if you have time - as a newbie I'd be grateful for all the advice I can get! Thanks in advance

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    If you are hungry, is there a reason you wouldn't eat?
    ETA: What I mean is, I don't understand why you are concerned about being hungry.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Nibbler is offline Senior Member
    Because looking at the list of food I have been eating each day, I feel like / assumed that it should have been enough. I am still learning.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    I think the general idea is, if you are hungry, eat.

If you are getting fat, then I would suggest reviewing the food more carefully by tracking it in a food tracker like sparkpeople.com and adjusting things until the fattage is reversed. Bu t if no fattage, no worries just eat.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

davem is offline Senior Member
    It going to be different for everyone, I don't think I could eat your day's list in a single day.

Eat when you're hungry, although if you don't feel like it, don't do it. +2 on the food tracker, sparkpeople was suggested, I happen to like the reporting features of fitday. YMMV.

Track what you eat for a couple weeks, and the physical impact it has on you, then you can determine if you're going the right way.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to lose weight? if so you might want to incorporate some of the Leptin Resistance recommendations:
    1. high protein breakfast, Dr. Jack Kruse recommends 50 gr. protein which is approx 7 oz. meat, chicken or fish or 7 eggs , he also wants you to eat within 30 minutes of waking (other leptin gurus do not specify this)
    2. no snacking between meals, and at least 5 hours between them, 11-12 hours between dinner and breakfast
    3. paleo type diet

If you go with the high protein breakfast you will not be hungry between meals

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think, for a newbie, that you're doing great!

Save the tweaks until you've been doing this for a couple more weeks.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals