Thread: Baby Squatting & Deadlifting page

mmsantos is offline Senior Member

Baby Squatting & Deadlifting

While playing with my cousin's 1-year-old baby, I witnessed something remarkable.

He is at that age where he is discovering new movements and walking. The first thing I noticed was how he gets up from a crawling position to a walking position. He squats with perfect form, rising from his legs and keeping his back straight. Likewise, he likes to play with a football (soccer ball). Among other things, he likes to lift it up. To do this, he performs a perfect dead lift; again, lifting with his legs and keeping his back straight.

I found this amazing because he has never seen anybody do this (or if he has, his brain certainly isn't capable of noticing it and reproducing it consciously) and yet he does perfectly what many people spend years studying and make money teaching others. We don't need to perform experiments to know what the most natural way to exercise is. Just look at our children, for they haven't been influenced by society and will move around and play as nature intended us to. Mark has said this before, of course, but I just thought it a nice reminder.

Grok on!

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Just hours ago on another forum I saw a post on 'developmental kinesiology' which is apparently a scientific field along these lines. I didn't pursue the details.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    We don't learn those movements, we forget them and then re-learn them.

nocturnalmama is offline Senior Member
    I love watching children playing, especially toddlers -they have such a unaffected relationship with movement - My daughter used to do the most perfect Downward Dog when she was around 18 months old, a pose I have spent years trying to do with good alignment!
    Robin
    ~primal mama to 3~

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    They also hate shoes until "we" condition them to "need" them. Their digestion also goes to shit (no pun intended) when we feed them junk, but all the primal toddler's I keep reading about barely even need wiped for diaper changes.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    When I did weight training two decades ago my trainer, a champion bodybuilder, told me to do squats just like a toddller does them, naturally, butt out, legs spaced to shoulder width. I've been noting that about toddlers ever since.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    They also hate shoes until "we" condition them to "need" them. Their digestion also goes to shit (no pun intended) when we feed them junk, but all the primal toddler's I keep reading about barely even need wiped for diaper changes.
    I hated shoes throughout my teenage years. I still hate them. If someone seriously thought about it, they'd realise that they never stopped hating shoes.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

bokbadok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    I hated shoes throughout my teenage years. I still hate them. If someone seriously thought about it, they'd realise that they never stopped hating shoes.
    I love shoes. Cinderella is proof that a cute pair of shoes can change your life. ;-)
    42 yo female; 5'8"
    Oct 2009: 205 lbs
    Dec 2010: 167 lbs
    Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
    Goal weight: 145 lbs

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    heh, i was squatting with my baby today. babe wanted to be held, i was doing too many reps, perfect combo!
    nocturnalmama- downward dog is the perfect position for a small kid to assume for butt wiping!