Thread: Smart Fuel: Hemp seeds page

GrokOnRock is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Considering how unbelievably awesome they are, I was quite surprised to find not a single post on the site about hemp seeds. As long as one is able to dismiss the counterproductive, destructive Anslinger propaganda concerning hemp and cannabis, it's quite easy to see why more and more in the medical community consider this small, simple seed as one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet. With 33% protein and high levels of monounsaturated fats, EFAs and Omega-3s, as well as containing all amino acids essential to maintaining human life, you really can't wrong with hemp seeds. I would even go so far as to say that you're going wrong without them. If Mark wants people to learn about all smart fuels, put the hemp seed in the spotlight where it deserves to be.

Suz Guest

So are hemp seeds or hemp protein powders a better alternative to whey protein powder? Is it primal?

I searched for "hemp" and came across this other thread (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...protein-powder) and someone mentions hemp is not paleo/primal.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I have great respect for hemp as product of nature and a total "makes sense" crop for many purposes. We all know of it's good points. And no, I've never inhaled!!! (Yeah, yeah, I know the difference.)

BUT it is not a panacea as a food. It does NOT deserve to be in the spotlight. There is a hemp mania in this country right now, this too shall pass. "Oooo, hemp? It MUST be good!" NOT! (I do have a hemp/cotton shirt and in this sultry clime it is the most comfortable one I own! Even with the cotton in it. BTW, polyester knit comes close. Yes, that stuff.)

A glance at Wikipedia shows that hemp is extremely high in polyunsaturates, six times as high as either the saturated or monosaturated. And omega-6 is three times higher than omega-3.

Grok did not eat hemp. He smoked it.

cc40 is offline Junior Member

I have to disagree. There has always been a "hemp mania" in this country[USA]. Produces more paper per acre than trees, paints and lacquers used to utilize it, most rope used to be hemp rope, was used as a tax crop (yes, to pay taxes), more protein than soy beans. On and on and on. It's a threat to all of those chemical-based industries, hence the ban in 39.

OK, off the soapbox. Why would Grok not have ingested this plant? Finding it non-toxic, and energy giving, I'd think that it's plausible. And yes, I'm sure that they found out that the flowers (female) of this plant had a euphoric effect, as well as medicinal qualities in helping digestion, pain, insomnia, headaches, etc.

Put aside the smoking and "alternative" culture and you'll find that Hemp is good food ... IMHO.

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

When it comes to Grok eating something, I think it probably comes down to it being palatable or not.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

CC40: Did you absorb what I posted? 1)Hemp sucks as a food per our PB standards. Don't ignore those fat types and omegas! It's not a question of did Grok eat hemp where and when he found it? Of course! It was palatable, as SerialSinner says. (Sort of.) Grok is a symbol, not an absolute fact. He also ate lots of blood and brains, things we shy away from.

2)The hemp mania you refer to is nothing about what I referred to. Yes, it has a long history of being grown and used in this country. Yes, I endorse growing it for many reasons, none of them edible. It has nothing to do with finding foo-foo hemp food products in all the foo-foo stores.

You asked why hemp isn't in the spotlight it deserves. I explained why. Not opinion, fact.

cc40 is offline Junior Member

It was absorbed. Just poking at the "Grok did not eat hemp. He smoked it." ... all in good, healthy fun.

grandma is offline Member

Sounds bad from a PUFA point of view. It also strikes me as a new food, one that doesn't have much history and therefore should be looked upon skeptically. I could be wrong, I don't know much about the history of the hemp as a food source.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.