Thread: Downside to Primal?!? No Fridge/Freezer! page

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member

Downside to Primal?!? No Fridge/Freezer!

Primal Fuel
    After CRAZY thunderstorms here in Denver today (tons of flooding, tornado sirens, etc) my house has been without power for 5.5 hours so far. Not knowing how long it will take to turn back on, I am avoiding opening the fridge and freezer so I don’t ruin all of my food.

Luckily, I have survived; opened a bottle of wine, found wireless access from a neighbor, ate some nuts and jerky and am typing via candlelight like a good cave-lady but…

… how long can refrigerated food survive with power shut off? And what about all of the delicious grass fed beef in my deep freezer in the garage?? Any thoughts?

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    We were without power for about 12 hours a week ago and our dinky freezer fared just fine: we left it closed and let the insulation do its work. Not sure how long over all. Good luck.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

kitana is offline Senior Member
    The longest I've been without power was 48 hrs. The freezer stuff was fine. The fridge stuff lasted quite awhile too, but I wasn't willing to trust it after 12 hrs. If you have a large cooler - you could try going somewhere they do have power and getting some ice and storing the stuff you need most in there.

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, guys! The power came back on in the middle of the night so it ended up being 10 hours. I just sat down to eat breakfast so here's hoping that it's all still good I never opened them so hopefully, that made a big difference.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    For our 12 hour stint, we happened to have several blue ice in the freezer: I took these and put them in the meat keeper just in case. I'll be keeping some in there from now on.

Glad to hear it was only 10 hours.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

SlimIcy is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure about the fridge, but an unopened chest freezer should last at least 3-4 days, maybe even a week if in a cool basement.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    … how long can refrigerated food survive with power shut off? And what about all of the delicious grass fed beef in my deep freezer in the garage?? Any thoughts?
    Freezer and fridge should be OK for a day. I would go ahead and buy a couple of big bags of ice, or dry ice if you can get it and tuck it into the fridge and freezer ASAP.

J. Stanton is offline Senior Member
    The more stuff you have in the freezer, the longer it'll stay frozen without power. Fill up any unused space with ice.

Hint: milk and juice cartons/jugs can be filled with water and frozen.