Thread: Help! Primal Newbie + Vacation Food page

MountainGirl is offline Junior Member

Help! Primal Newbie + Vacation Food

Shop Now
    Hello! I'm going on vacation for two weeks, and I need food ideas. My friends and family that are joining me aren't even slightly concerned about their nutritional well-being and will be eating out or cooking SAD meals all week. I don't want to come across as pretentious, but I also want to eat well. I will have access to a tiny refrigerator and a grocery store. What are good ways to modify the meals they are eating in a non-offensive way that is still satisfying to me? What kinds of foods should I bring for the roadtrip part? What are easy things I could whip up when their meals are just too awful? I'm somewhat new at this, and I know vacations are where people let their diet rules go by the wayside, so I want to make sure I'm prepared. Thank you for any input

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Generally, friends will understand if you ask them to not put your hamburger on a bun or if they could not put sugar in your tea. Most people aren't offended unless you don't tell them you can't eat this or that until after they cook it. For example, I was over at a friends house the other day and she was cooking red beans, rice, chicken, and salads. Before she started cooking, I went up to her and asked her if she could leave out the red beans and rice for me and just give me the chicken and the salad. She understood and was fine with my modified meal.

As for the road trip part, nuts, beef jerky, pork rinds, and dried fruit* are all good options.

BAS (Big Ass Salads) are great in case of emergency. Just get your choice of greens, your favorite vinaigrette (or mix some of your own up at home), and whatever else you want on your salad. They can all usually fit in a mini fridge quite easily. In fact, I keep my entire stock of primal food on a shelf about the size of a mini-fridge. Keep some nice veggies on hand--as well as an emergency stock of bacon--and you should be fine.

*Unless you're trying to lose weight, keep this to a minimum.

MountainGirl is offline Junior Member
    Also, is the dried fruit/ weight comment because of calories or carbs? I haven't heard this before and I am trying to lose weight.

MetalMayhem is offline Member
    I believe he/she meant: If you're trying to loose weight, then limit it.

You should seriously limit it if trying to loose weight because it is very calory dense, easy to eat a lot of, and is all sugar/carbs