Thread: How to have a lamb butchered primally? page

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member

How to have a lamb butchered primally?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I got a line on a whole, grass-fed lamb going to butcher next week. I have been steeping myself in the different ways it can be cut.

What I don't know, is how to ask for little things like, what cuts have good tasty fat that are good to make sure don't get trimmed? Do I just ask in general that fat is not trimmed, or do I have to be specific so I don't get fats people normally wouldn't want (too tough or not actually palatable?) I just don't know enough about lamb either way.

Before anyone brings it up, no I am not keeping the offal, which is a waste because I am paying the whole hanging weight (unless offal isn't normally included in hanging weight). I just don't have pets or people that would make use of it.

Anyway advice would be greatly appreciated!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    If your butcher is any good, just keep it simple. I tell my butcher not to trim the fat, and he knows to save every possible usable part (because I will eat damn near anything.) If you want specific parts saved, be sure to ask- such as bones for broth, or fat for rendering.

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    If you want to be really primal, keep the thing in your back yard and hack pieces of it off with a sharp stone. ;-P

Quote Originally Posted by Unshod Sarah View Post
    If you want to be really primal, keep the thing in your back yard and hack pieces of it off with a sharp stone. ;-P
    Unfortunately, things like HOA governing documents and city zoning codes get in the way of that. That and, not nearly enough space (small lot). Oh well...

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    HPK fat (Heart/Pancreas/Kidneys) is the realllllly good stuff that you make your cooking fats out of. That's the type of fat you're after. Not sure if it's too "offal" for you, but lamb tongue is quite the delicacy. Ask to receive ALL bones (save the head if you're squeamish) , this will provide you with plenty of stock!
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Can you talk with the butcher? They are a professional, so like any other profession whould be willing to answer a few questions / clarify a few things. There are often local variations in cuts and "normal" butchering anyway. Maybe go with the approach of "this is how I eat" e.g. I say I'm only feeding 1-2 people so I like smaller joints; or I'd like more chops/smaller portions made out of that section. The heart is tasty, by the way, not too offally

Are you tanning the shedepskin?

PrimalCon New York
    I thought about keeping the lambskin. What does one need to do with it?