Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grass-Fed Veal Heart page

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member

Grass-Fed Veal Heart

Shop Now
    Kind of a primal triple-win isn't it? How do I cook this? It's huge. 2.5 pounds.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I prefer to sear it like a nice steak. You have to trim it first if you cook it like that though. Check out this awesome video for instruction: YouTube - Cleaning a beef heart

I cook the trimmings separately and eat them too and render the large chunks of fat for tallow.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I usually just eat mine raw for breakfast, preferably still-beating. You are still COOKING your food? You need to get out of the late paleolithic and into the early paleolithic, my friend! Seriously, I have no idea how I'd cook it, probably cut it up and make a stew or chili or something out of it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    I prefer to sear it like a nice steak. You have to trim it first if you cook it like that though. Check out this awesome video for instruction: YouTube - Cleaning a beef heart

I cook the trimmings separately and eat them too and render the large chunks of fat for tallow.
    +1 Seared baby cow heart is delicioso!!!
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Isn't 'grassfed veal' an oxymoron? Veal is made by keeping calves in a lock up and feeding them exclusively on milk. I've not eaten veal since I learned how they treated the little critters.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarBaby View Post
    Isn't 'grassfed veal' an oxymoron? Veal is made by keeping calves in a lock up and feeding them exclusively on milk. I've not eaten veal since I learned how they treated the little critters.
    No idea, bro. That's just what it was labeled at world food market. Maybe they fed the baby cow only milk from grass fed cows? And thanks for the ideas, guys. I'm probably going to trim it up tomorrow and sear it!

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarBaby View Post
    I assume you are saying the lock up is the problem, not the milk: calves are baby mammals; they drink milk.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    There is plenty of "humane veal" for sale around - they get a natural diet and are slaughtered very young. I think "veal" just means baby cow from what I understand - the confinement etc. is not part of the definition.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

davem is offline Senior Member
    Veal these days has gotten watered down to mean baby animals running around. It's true veal when it's labeled "Milk Fed", you can bet dollars to donuts that those calves didn't walk around. It's also the most tender, insipid, and expensive veal you can get.

Grass fed pretty much implies they were grazing.

I like to do veal heart very simply. Prep a grill. Soak some skewers. Cut the heart into skewerable chunks, season with cumin, pepper, and salt. Skewer, and grill.

As for doneness, I like the outside to have a nice sear, and the inside to get just a little warm.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    A chef friend of mine years ago said veal was for people who didn't like the taste of meat, since it has next to no taste, and is always sauced to death. Grassfed calf should be tender as lamb. Yes, terms get thrown around loosely, but the old pen up a calf so it couldn't move--literally--and feed it nothing but milk even after it would have naturally grazed along with nursing, always just seemed really cruel to me. Geese, on the other hand, that run to the feeders to be "force fed"; that is another matter altogether. I love foie gras.

Hope the heart is tender and delicious and you report back on how you prepared it.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast