Thread: Coffee and Gluten page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Coffee and Gluten

This is interesting. Just read this at one of Datis Kharrazian's sites:

However Cyrex researchers were surprised to find coffee has the highest rate of cross-reaction with gluten. In other words, some people’s immune system mistakes coffee for gluten, triggering a reaction. This test informs people whether one needs to give up coffee (gasp!) to prevent gluten cross-reactivity.
    (Presumably, "surprised" because its incidence of cross-reactivity appeared to be higher than that of dairy, whose cross-reaction is commonly known about.)

What type of gluten intolerance do you have?

I thought it was worth posting that as a heads-up. Any of those of know themselves to be gluten-intolerant might want to try avoidance–challenge with coffee to see if their bodies are mistaking it for gluten.

davem is offline Senior Member
    To co-opt an internet meme:
    Citations or it didn't happen.

Dear ol' Datis doesn't cite any research in the article, and says to have some (presumably expensive) test ordered.

Not calling BS Snake Oil, but it smells a little slitherin.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    To co-opt an internet meme:
    Citations or it didn't happen.

Dear ol' Datis doesn't cite any research in the article, and says to have some (presumably expensive) test ordered.

Not calling BS Snake Oil, but it smells a little slitherin.
    To clarify (because I'm familiar with this particular subject)- he doesn't cite any research because Cyrex themselves are the ones who have discovered this connection, so there likely isn't any published research- just observational data from people's saliva panel results.

BTW, Kharrazian doesn't make any money from ordering Cyrex panels for his patients. The lab makes all the money. They've got some pretty innovative next generation tests that have recently come out:
    Cyrex Tests & Arrays

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member
    So, you recommend this lab? I'm intrigued! I'm pretty sure that gluten is poisin for everyone, but to varying degrees.

Damn... dairy, coffee, quinoa? Those are my favorite foods. Besides wine and fish. Don't tell me to stop eating Kippered Herring for snack!

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Hmm...I feel like crap after eating gluten. I feel just fine and dandy after coffee with cream. That's good enough for this idiot!

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Could explain some of the absolutely terrible gas some people get after drinking coffee.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

davem is offline Senior Member
    A lab offering panels for things that haven't been proven?

Well, I'm off to get my patented Dr. Pepper healing tonic, I've heard it cures scurvy, cancer, and some forms of death!
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    A lab offering panels for things that haven't been proven?

Well, I'm off to get my patented Dr. Pepper healing tonic, I've heard it cures scurvy, cancer, and some forms of death!
    I don't really get what you mean. The lab tests for IgG and IgA responses to foods and they show up or they don't. They've noticed that many people who react to gluten also cross-react to coffee. What's to prove? They're not touting any cures or protocols, so your analogy doesn't make sense.
    I think you're just secretly scared that maybe coffee isn't your pal