Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resort back to allergy meds? page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Resort back to allergy meds?

Primal Fuel
    So far, I've been primal for almost an year! I thought that my allergies were a LOT better because during the spring time I had little to no allergies. However ... my allergies are acting up again, especially when I go exercise. It's actually unbearable on some really sunny days. My question is, should I go back to taking Zyrtec when I need it or should I try some other things before I have to take meds?

Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Yes, take your meds if you need them. I take Claritin, Singulair and Sudafed on a daily basis and get weekly allergy shots as well.

how long have you been primal?

Nion is offline Senior Member
    I still get seasonal allergies. I take an Allegra when i need it.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I keep up with flonase, alavert and take quercetin w/vitamin c.
    Georgette

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Well there goes my suggestion. I was going to say quercetin. It does wonders for me. I take 500mg in the morning. Occasionally I'll take another one in the evening if I'm getting snuffly. I often wake up with sniffles and they dry up shortly after taking the quercetin.

i searched up quercetin ... instead of buying pills, is simply drinking tea enough? (i saw that it's a good source of quercetin ...)

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i know it's an old wives tale but a daily tbs of local honey works for me. That plus no grains = zero allergy problems this spring.

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    i searched up quercetin ... instead of buying pills, is simply drinking tea enough? (i saw that it's a good source of quercetin ...)
    It does have a high concentration by weight but you're not consuming much at a time. Apparently a 300ml cup contains 1.4 mg of quercetin. Of course, I'm not sure what the minimum effective dose is. The capsules come in 500mg but that's not to say I might not feel better with less. Still, that's a wide range.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    My allergies are better since going primal, but not all better either. I had to return to taking my daily corticosteroid inhaler (Flovent) for my asthma because as much as I wanted to be off it, I finally had to admit that I was having too much trouble with breathing, especially on days with high pollen counts or poor air quality, and it was affecting my ability to be active. I figure if I have to take the medication to be able to lead an active primal lifestyle, then I'd rather do that than struggle without and end up living a more restricted, sedentary life. If you need the meds to enjoy exercise and going outdoors, then I say take them--it's worth the trade.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast