Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building the Gymnastics Body Workout Routine page

anorris21 is offline Junior Member

Building the Gymnastics Body Workout Routine

Hi everyone, I just bought the book and love it, but I have a few questions about setting up the program. I'm new to gymnastic training, but not pushups and pullups. I want to do a MWF split and wanted feedback from people that read the book. I plan on doing 3 sets (may work up to 5) of up to 5 reps. When I hit 5 reps, I will add a weighted vest if possible or move up the difficulty in the moves.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Monday: Push up variations, row variations, v-up variations, deck squat variations
    Wednesday: Dip variations, pullup variations, hanging leg lift variations, single leg squat variation
    Friday: HSPU variations, curl variations, oblique variations, hamstring variations

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, especially from people that read the book to make sure I'm setting this up properly. To people that haven't read the book, what do you think?

Also, I plan on doing static holds throughout the week (headstands, handstands, l-sits, etc.)

Thanks so much,

Adam

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Looks solid to me, coming from another BTGB reader / user. You have the core, legs, and a push and pull at each session.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    Looks solid to me, coming from another BTGB reader / user. You have the core, legs, and a push and pull at each session.

Thanks dude. Can I ask what your routine is like?

Right now I'm doing a primarily three days/week program like you, though mine splits like this:

Day 1:
    1) L-sit / handstand work: At least 60 seconds aggregate L-sit work, and HS practice between sets of L-sits. I like to set my Gymboss for two minute intervals, do the L-sit hold, then practice HS for the rest of the time period, then go back to L-sit and repeat.
    2) Planche / Back Lever progression: Superset the two. Right now I'm trying to transition into ADV frog stand (having difficulties straightening elbows), and I'm on flat tuck BL. But I aim for 60 aggregate seconds on PL progression (I go 15-20 in regular FS, then dynamically try to move to an ADV FS), and close to 20-30 in the flat tuck BL right now since it's pure strength I'm trying to gain (they're still hard, and I'm averaging about five seconds / hold).
    3) Push / Pull: It'll be either dip progressions, HSPU progressions, or pushup progressions (currently at regular PB dips about to move to Bulgarian PB, full HeSPU against wall, and ground pseudo planche pushups), also supersetted for 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps. Sometimes I'll add in ring support work, I'm still shaky on that. For the pulls, it'll be static FL, row variations, or pull-up / chin-up variations. I'm still in full tuck FL, tuck FL rows, and regular pull-ups/chin-ups (can't get past 5 max pull-ups right now).

Day 2:
    1) L-sit / handstand work: Same as above. This is the first part of all my sessions.
    2) Push / pull work: Same as #3 of Day 1 above, though it will be a different movement plane. If I did dips/pull-ups on Day 1, this day will be horizontal push and horizontal pull, or perhaps HeSPU and horizontal pull. 3-5 sets, 3-5 reps.
    3) Lower back / Legs: Right now, press HeS progression and weighted SLS are the general order of the day, though I'll switch to hamstring stuff fluidly. 3-5 sets, 3-5 reps.

Day 3:
    1) L-sit / handstand work.
    2) Push / Legs: It'll be the third area of push that hasn't been done yet (dips or HeSPU or horizontal push), and a leg variation I hadn't done in Day 2 (either SLS or hamstrings). Same 3-5 sets, 3-5 reps.
    3) Planche / Back lever progressions: I try to do these at least twice a week in the structured training sense. I should be doing them at every session, but I want to include dynamic exercises (pushups, HeSPU, etc.) as well as statics, and I want to have leg work too. The cool thing about BL progressions is that they tax the lower back fairly well, so doing these along with the lower back work on Day 2 is great at targeting that area.

On occasion, I'll throw something in there that isn't usual, for instance a multi-plane pulling movement like TOPS pulls or inverted curls.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

landerson22 is offline Junior Member
    maybe throw some deadlifts in there and a day of sprints, or a hike, surf sesh... than i think you would be super solid

Velocity, thanks so much for writing your routine, I appreciate you taking the time to do that. Landerson, I agree, I should add that stuff in there as well.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Love love love that you're posting on this. I'm *just* getting into it (via the site/forums--don't have the book yet, and am still much of a beginner in comparison to many so not sure I'm ready for what the book will rec...) and would love to learn more from those following this protocol!

I'd love to read more about the mobility/stretching aspects of your training as well, as it seems like an essential part from what I've read on the forums.

Also, from my reading on the gymnastic bodies forum, I've got this list of things to do for now--does this sound like a good starting place for a newbie? (I plan to get the book once I've gotten most of the basics down...)

3-4x a week do Static Holds (60s each total)
    plank
    reverse plank
    arch hold
    hollow hold
    support hold
    dead hang
    handstand (at wall)
    inverted hang
    L sit tuck
    Frog

(I can do almost all for the full 60s, but a couple I'm breaking down into 2x 30s)

2 x a week (to start--to later move up to 3 or 4x) FBE's:
    push ups/rows 3x3 up to 5x5
    dips/pull ups (working on these--got the push ups and rows but not fully there w/ the dips and pull ups) 3x3 up to 5x5
    HSPU/ring curls would be the next step after mastering dips/pull ups (so not there yet )

Core: HLL and/or V ups 5x5

Legs: deck squats and/or sumo squats 3x15

Mobility work 4x week to include shoulder dislocates, wrist prehab (wrist pushups, etc), wall extension, hip extensions etc--8-10 reps of each movement
    I practice yoga a lot and plan to try and build this in here as well. Also bridge wall walks.

Any other advice for a beginner? Something I'm missing and should add? Also, do you think the book is helpful for someone who has not mastered the basics (like, I'm nowhere near a planche, HeSPU, etc...)

Thanks folks! Hope this thread continues so I can learn from you all!!!

ETA: Some links that may be helpful to other gymnastics beginners (most from the gymnastic bodies forum)
    http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...hp?f=18&t=6156
    http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...&p=12334#p1233
    http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum...t=3291&start=0
    http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/vie...tart=60#p53768

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...ngth-training/
    Last edited by FairyRae; 07-09-2011 at 07:56 PM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

The book is pretty helpful for beginners, as it provides a fairly fleshed-out set of progressions for basic strength exercises. Frog stand all the way to full planche is shown, with about four / five intermediate steps. Similar goes for the rest of the exercises. He doesn't go too deeply into handstand work, though there is a volume (Handstand Chronicles) that more fully details it. The prehab / mobility / flexibility stuff isn't covered much in the book (but the GB forum, as well as publication Liquid Steel, cover it).

You'll want to incorporate German hangs into your beginner routine.

-- Blaise Pascal

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Velocity! I think I def. need to get the book!!! And thanks for the input on German hangs...off to google what that means!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    Thanks Velocity! I think I def. need to get the book!!! And thanks for the input on German hangs...off to google what that means!
    If you've done a "skin-the-cat" as a kid, it's the same basic movement.

-- Blaise Pascal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast