Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lazy, depressed, and anxious... time for change! page 2

akgreeley is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Just wanted to add: "sprinting" doesn't have to mean running. It just means pushing yourself to your limit. You can "sprint" in the pool or on a bicycle or even walking.

It sounds like you are on the right track. I was also a lazy one. I'm new to this and haven't lost much weight yet, but my energy has soared since I went primal, and I'm no longer lazy at all. I have a hard time making myself rest! I wish the best for you.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I opted not to go swimming today so maybe I will do some jogging this evening. Thanks for the thoughts.

I've felt slightly more energized these past few days just from increasing my fruits and veggies intake. It's a nice feeling. I bought tons of veggies for lunch for this week and some chicken that I'll be grilling up for lunch and dinner. I love finger food.

How did I not know that almonds are absolutely AMAZING as a snack? Even just a small handful is enough to take the edge off my hunger.

I realized that my goal of not getting on the scale until I'm happy enough with my body to get my navel pierced (a reward, heh) is going to be dashed on Wednesday when I go to the doctor for my annual. My body has definitely been changing with swimming and eating differently though, so maybe it will be good to get an idea of where I am now. From what I can tell, there's more muscle underneath, but the fat hasn't moved. I've only just started with the food changes, so I know I have to give it time.

I stopped having yogurt for a couple days and the heartburn is practically gone. Looks like I might have some lactose intolerance, which is unfortunate since I just bought some greek yogurt over the weekend.

Sigh I'm having such a hard time figuring out what to eat. Raw broccoli is bitter and gross, but I enjoyed the rest of the veggies I packed for lunch (cucumber, carrots, also had green grapes). I didn't think that reheated cooked broccoli would be very tasty (too mushy) so I thought I'd try it raw. I forgot my chicken so I had some almonds to try and fill up, which gave me a stomach ache. I am going to scarf that chicken down when I get home and hope that it's not too soon before I go swimming to give me yet another stomach ache. This one hasn't gone away yet though. Hmm I didn't have breakfast this morning though and I am always hungry in the morning (didn't make time for it today).

Wow I can't even think or type properly today, I type very fast and generally very accurately, but had to go back to correct many typos in this post (including words in the wrong order, not just letters). I'm very sensitive to noting these things because they tend to be signs of fatigue (I don't feel tired) or just some kind of "out of it" with my brain. I have no idea what could be causing it today, but even my eyesight is being affected. Sometimes I hate my brain.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    You have a headache today because, as far as I can tell, you haven't eaten enough today. You skipped breakfast and ate raw veggies and a couple nuts for lunch - this is not primal. That's not actually eating.

Take responsibility for your meals and plan ahead. I'd recommend keeping it as simple as possible right now as you figure out how to take care of yourself, cook for yourself and move. You don't need difficult recipes or special or unusual foods to live primal but you do need to shop and cook. You need to eat breakfast - as your body has been fasting for 8-12 hours. Breakfast and lunch are your fuel for the day - without which you lose focus and get headaches. There are arguments here against breakfast but considering your headache and lack of focus this afternoon, I strongly recommend you focus your food efforts on these two meals. Try it for one month - see if it helps. Here are some thoughts ...

Breakfast - there are tons of recommendations for what to eat for breakfast in threads here. I recommend committing to three go-to variations for now. I'm suggesting three easy to make options - if these don't appeal, find three that do. Variation 1 - two hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit (try melon as it's in season and inexpensive), cucumbers and or tomatoes, and a slice of ham. (boil six eggs tonight and you have three breakfasts waiting for you). Variation 2 - Mix of walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts & coconut flakes with full fat greek yogurt and fresh berries. Variation 3 - leftovers from dinner- meat plus grilled veggies - reheated in microwave. If you are in a hurry, wrap leftovers in a large lettuce leaf like a burrito.
    Lunch - Don't vary this one - this is an easy time of day to be routine. I recommend you make a huge ass salad every day -- it's easy to make, easy to carry, easy to eat. Toss lettuce with a homemade vinaigrette, chopped cucumbers, peppers, onions, cabbage, tomatoes (whatever you like) and half an avocado, some sliced leftover meat or a can of tuna or salmon. You will go though a ton of lettuce. Plan on buying one head every 3-4 days. Bag it up after dinner as a part of post dinner clean up - 10 min work max - and you are ready to go the next day.
    Dinner - should be easy. it's been a long day and you probably don't want to work too hard. Grill or roast meat and add veggies. Meat can be steak, chicken or fish - whatever you like. Keep veggies simple - steamed or another salad. Serve meat on top of veggies. Don't worry about marinades, or seasonings unless you feel inspired - stick to oil or butter with salt and pepper for seasoning.
    Desert - fresh fruit, if still hungry. Explore what's fresh and in season if you can. Strawberries are inexpensive now. Look for peaches and plums prices to drop.

On Salad Dressing - keep them simple vinaigrettes for now. Mix 2-3 parts oil with 1 part vinegar (apple cider, white or balsamic all are fine) or fresh lemon juice. Add fresh pepper directly into salad. Toss with fingers (feel a bit like Nigela) and eat.

Exercise/Move/Play
    Keep up with your regular swimming routine. Swimming is great low-impact exercise and well worth continuing. 20 min at a time is not enough for weight loss but good for general fitness. Do it because you enjoy it.
    Once a week try sprints in the pool. It sounds as if you shouldn't be running on your ankle right now - basically push yourself in one lap to go as fast as you can, then drop back to a slow crawl for 1-2 lengths and repeat.
    Walk 30 minutes after lunch and after dinner - as many days as week as you can. Moving after a meal is worthwhile - you'll not feel so tired after your meals if you move a bit. Try to make the walk lovely so you'll want to do it again. Find somewhere pretty or interesting to walk and enjoy the day (even if it involved galoshes and an umbrella - splash in the puddles like a kid!)
    Try out Mark's five essential movements in the Primal Fitness e-book. Do these twice a week if you can. Do them at least once a week.

Vitamins
    Do take Vitamin D suppelments - this can improve your mood and energy levels. I can't recommend this enough.

Repeat for thirty days. Check out how you feel. Analyze what worked and what didn't. Revise and repeat for another 30 days.

Oh - don't eat broccoli if you don't like it. Don't eat anything you don't like. But, for the record, you should eat broccoli 1-2 days after you buy it - just like fish. If it tastes sour, it's going off.

When I went gluten free in January 2011, my anxiety disappeared. Acid reflux too. Depression is much better too. Best of luck and much success to you!!!!

Girlarchitect, thank you for writing that out. I've been really intimidated by all this coconut oil business and wondering where "regular" foods can fit in for my simple self. I lucked out and had a really late meal last night (bacon and eggs mmmm), but I definitely see that I need to eat better.

I hate acknowledging that my eating habits need such a serious overhaul, but I know that they do. It's going to take time to get my head around this, I have to get the motivation to do it, even though I already have the motivation to change.

I think I'll take the hit to the wallet and go to the salad bar in my building for lunch today so I can ensure I eat enough. I just don't have time to prepare anything now, I've got therapy before work today (man why is it that therapy is more distressing than everyday life?)

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm glad you found my comments in anyway useful!! It's a huge change you are taking on. We all struggle with it as we are swimming against the tide of most of our friends, family and society. And that's only part of it. Our bodies initially crave what we are giving up - the sugars, carbs and even the chemicals. (some we get over easier than others). Most everyone's diets need a major overhaul when they start here. The standard diet is awful and addictive and it's really difficult to change your life in the modern packaged world we live in. This is what we all have in common here. The fact that you need a change and know it and are trying to do something about it is a huge step and one you need to take every morning.

The thing I really like about Mark is his 80/20 approach and the overall understanding on this site that different people approach this lifestyle in different ways. For right now (at least the first month) stick to the Primal 101 postings for guidelines about what changes to make. Use that as your starting point and focus only on his recommendations and what works for you. His approach is simple and his recommended basic meals aren't complicated to make. He eats a pretty basic no frills diet and it works. Use the Daily Apple postings for inspiration and use this forum for support via your journal. That's what you need right now. Ignore all the rest for one month.

Cut yourself some slack this week if you are too busy to go to the store and get what you need for right now. Focus this week on cutting out sugar and reducing the amount of grains and chemicals and increasing your protein in your diet this week. A salad bar is a reasonable compromise for today - just make certain you add protein to your salad!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12