Thread: Irvingia gabonensis? page

Hedonist is offline Senior Member

Irvingia gabonensis?

Shop Now
    Today Mercola is pushing Irvingia gabonensis for leptin sensitivity etc. Snake oil or valuable supplement?

Apparently there are lots of scam Irvingia products out there. I'm inclined to think Mercola's does at least contain the real stuff. Expensive, of course. Any thoughts?
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Paleobird Guest

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Jury still out.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    When the researcher who owns the product rights is the only one publishing results, it's time to be suspicious! Also, a perusal of Google Scholar shows that of the 21 papers that cited the 2009 paper, none were peer reviewed journals. Just bloggers and the like.

Tom Venuto has an interesting article and he runs the numbers for you. If this stuff does what it allegedly does, it would have to raise your metabolism an extra 1400 calories per day.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Isn't this author the same guy that was bagging on Paleo the other day?

His rebuttal is not very convincing. It's based on calorie theory. He's probably just whining because the product is not part of his own program.

I don't know if this Irvingia gabonensis works or not. It's possible, but it could be nonsense too. Time will tell.

I use a supplement for insulin resistance called maitake SX that comes from a mushroom. You could argue that this is just the supplement of the month too, but it does seem to work.

miss claudia is offline Junior Member

Venuto Missed the Point of that One Research Study

...in that study was specifically addressing leptin resistance and, as such, attributed the reported weight loss to the treating of LR, as opposed to any increase in metabolism.

Leptin resistance is a much not understood condition that, until now, has only been treated using insulin resistance/diabetes 2 drugs called Byetta and Symlin.

I have LR, it's a huge PITA, it means that, having "acquired" it I went from being a skinny tall person to a fat tall person by eating very modestly and exercising like a loon.

I had about 8 years of chronic under feeding because not matter how little or much I ate or how much I exercised or didn't, I could gain 10-12 pounds in a week on about 700 calories a day. I am now considered by the endos I consulted to be choronically leptin reisitant.

I started injecting Byetta which worked for a while (I could eat every second day without gaining pounds per day) but it stopped working after about 8 months (common problem) so I'm now trying irvingia gabonensis.

8 weeks in and I can see no weight difference and my serum leptin levels are no better. Needless to say I have my doubts. I'll try it for another 4 weeks.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    When the researcher who owns the product rights is the only one publishing results, it's time to be suspicious! Also, a perusal of Google Scholar shows that of the 21 papers that cited the 2009 paper, none were peer reviewed journals. Just bloggers and the like.

Tom Venuto has an interesting article and he runs the numbers for you. If this stuff does what it allegedly does, it would have to raise your metabolism an extra 1400 calories per day.
    Good article by Tom.

FortKnox37 is offline Junior Member
    Here is an article that I ran across regarding irvingia gabonensis and leptin by Dr. Al Sears. Just passing it along...

Nature Is Better | Health Newsletter

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    I've gotten disenchanted with Mercola.

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    Dr. Oz recommended it last year for weight loss, but didn't go into details why.