Thread: so i tried on some VFFs yesterday.... not impressed page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

so i tried on some VFFs yesterday.... not impressed

Primal Fuel
    i have been wanting to give VFFs a try for awhile and finally got over to the only shoe store in town that carries them yesterday. I tried on both KSO and sport treks. It took a couple tries to find a size that I could actually put on, I have very wide feet and ended up having to go several sizes larger then what the shoe fit guide said I needed. Once i got a pair that fit they felt ok, they were quite snug which I guess is what you want rather then having them slip around while walking. All in all i guess they were about as uncomfortable as any new shoe.

The thing that really disappointed me is this: I have been wearing for the last 3 weeks or so a pair of $7 Aqua socks I bought at K Mart that i removed the inner sole. The VFFs did not give me the feeling of being any less minimal then they do as far as ground feel goes. in fact id say the VFFs have a THICKER sole and have LESS ground feeling then the cheap aqua socks.

Now if running is your thing then the VFFs may very well be the cats meow but for someone like me who just wants to go barefoot but has to wear shoes at work I say dont believe the hype and save your hard earned cash
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

swalker is offline Member
    I use the aqua socks too. I like them fine. No complaints except for that I can't get cuter ones.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Funny that you mention the Aqua Socks....used those for years before I found the Vibrams. For me, I vary what I put on my feet a lot:

Barefoot: known trail runs (where I know the terrain), cut grass, some sports.
    Aqua Socks: Concrete walks, slow walks
    Kimodo VFF's: Surfing for sure (wanted KSO's, but needed versatility) for the coral that is pretty common where I live, rocky trail runs, sprints, anything where my feet may take a beating.

I guess that for me, the Vibrams are for when I want a little more protection. They are by no means the most minimalist (it's just barefoot if that is the goal). With all of this said, I have no knee/ankle aches and pains, despite an extremely heavy work load for my legs....so I imagine that if you can do everything you want to do with just the socks or nothing, then the Vibrams aren't necessary. If you want a little protection and versatility, they are a good buy.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    It depends on which VFFs you have. Treks have very thick soles, and Sprints have very thin soles. I think I like Bikilas best. Very comfy and flexible. But, if you don't like them, it's up to you.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Yup, the komodos, bikilas, treks all have the thickest soles, kso's, classics, and I think the sprints share the old thinner sole. We're talking a difference of 3-4.5mm in thickness between the line.

I tried aqua socks, thought they were trash, hurt my feet with them, couldn't keep anything out of them, stank to high hell.

I still prefer my timberlands, but the VFFs are nice when I don't want to wear boots, if it helps you get out and do stuff though, it could be some duct tape and cut tires, it's getting you out. BFD about the trends.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Goldsmith is offline Senior Member
    I recently wore out my first pair of kso's. I went to the local Whole Earth Provisions to get another pair and tried on some of the "newer" five fingers and was unimpressed. The Treks, Bikalas, Komodos, etc... all seemed like they had a very thick sole compared to my old kso's or my Merrell Trail Gloves. It is almost like they are trying to trick these shoes out so much that they are losing their original purpose.

I ended up buying another set of kso's.
    "Canned food is a perversion,' Ignatius said. 'I suspect that it is ultimately very damaging to the soul."
    - John Kennedy Toole (A Confederacy of Dunces)

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    I ended up buying another set of kso's.
    I'm getting a pair once I lose 40 pounds, some of us need those few extra mm's.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

ryry is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

This is my first post. I was born club footed and my feet are 2 different sizes and have different impairments. Im lucky and can walk and run and play pretty hard still (im 35). Buying 2 pairs of vff are out of the question because im cheap. The walmart aqua socks are my favorite too! I can buy both the sizes i need for under 10bucks and replace them about every 2-3mos (i wear them all the time). If i ever go out and bang the pavement i wear shoes. grass/dirt/sand/hiking i go barefoot. ive just started experimenting with painting "plasti-dip" on socks and injini toe-socks and the results are great so far. ive tried the vff (most of my friends have them) but they really cut down on feedback. so far the plast-dip is where its at for me if i just need a "little" bit of extra protection. mix sand into the plasti-dip and traction remains good. the best part about the plasti-dip/injinji is they are easy to repair when they start wearing out. the worst part is making them as its pretty dang messy. practice on cheap socks before going at the toe socks.

ryan