Thread: Leaving on Vacations and Packing my Tuna along... page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Leaving on Vacations and Packing my Tuna along...

I am about to venture into the dangerous world outside my kitchen, and I survey the supplies I bring along like a true tribesman awaiting to not be able to forage far and wide at the parental abodes or on the road.

a jar of extra virgin olive oil
    cans of tuna, sardines, salmon and herring (and a can opener)
    a bag of avocados
    horseradish
    a head of cabbage (that's to stay away from the cerial bars for hubby and the child)

Is it just me, or is it funny on some level?

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    If it's funny, then I'm hilarious! I've now packed an ice chest full - just for me, on two trips I've taken since the end of May. I cooked like crazy the day before and bright and early on departure days. I took chicken, steak, cod, tuna, ground beef, ground turkey, avocados, spinach and other veggies and all of my coconut oil/coconut milk stuff that I didn't want spilling all over my car.....again. (1 coconut oil mishap is enough!) Then there's the bag that contains all of my spices, pork rinds, etc.!

My family looks at me like I'm insane when I walk up pulling my trusty little ice chest, but they've gotten used to it. They sure do ask a lot of questions now, though - I think by shutting my mouth and never trying to convince anyone of anything, their curiosity is piqued and they're tempted to get in on what's got me feeling so great and has transformed my body over the last year.

Edited to add --- hooray for you on remembering the can opener! Don't forget it at the last minute!
    Last edited by GoJenGo; 07-07-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    That's not funny, it's smart!

I would love to find "canned" salmon in those sealed pouches like the starkest tuna so that I could bring some with me in my handbag. Lol

minner is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    That's not funny, it's smart!

I would love to find "canned" salmon in those sealed pouches like the starkest tuna so that I could bring some with me in my handbag. Lol
    You can find it in most grocery stores around here, but it most likely will be "farmed" salmon: Pouch

I also have an upcoming vaction and will be packing Primal foods as well. I am curious what others have packed in past trips. I do plan on cheating a little more since it is my vacation (probably some alcohol) but the good news is fresh seafood will be eaten daily.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I get those pouches of salmon and tuna steak too. They may not be ideal, but they beat candy bars and pretzels.

I am glad I am not alone. One part of me tells me that I can buy all that, but then, do you really want to spend vacation time shopping? I figure pulling a handy can of sardines in McDonald's will be wastly prefered to playing the 'guess the least damaging item on the menue' game.

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by minner View Post
    You can find it in most grocery stores around here, but it most likely will be "farmed" salmon: Pouch

I also have an upcoming vaction and will be packing Primal foods as well. I am curious what others have packed in past trips. I do plan on cheating a little more since it is my vacation (probably some alcohol) but the good news is fresh seafood will be eaten daily.
    I have never seen those. I'll have to start hunting around different stores.
    I just want salmon for lower mercury since I'm pregnant at the moment.
    Those would be super convenient for in a pinch.

When fish doesn't come in a conveniet pouch, I open the can in the morn, drain it and put in a screw-top 1 cup container. Works like a charm, and I do not pay extra for the lid design. I dunno, why the lid design comes for free on herring or sardines, but is extra on salmon or tuna. Just one of those odd, odd things.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Here's the three I keep for trips, and I always have some in my desk-

I've done mass quantities of the salmon in the third pic. They probably aren't perfect, but I lost a ton of weight when I was munching on those and blood tests are good. The only store I can find them all is Publix.
    Last edited by DFH; 07-07-2011 at 08:51 AM.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've never seen the pouches either. I use the lock & lock containers and mash my canned salmon or tuna up in one of those and I'm good to go.
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals