Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on pescetarianism? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Thoughts on pescetarianism?

Primal Fuel
    I just recently found out that Mark's wife is a pescetarian (eats only fish). Is this primal? Do we know if Grok's food consisted mostly of fish? I mean even the Inuits ate there fair share of meat right? I'm not trying to bash her choice...I'm just curious. Is anyone here a pescetarian and how do you not get tired of fish all the time? Granted I'm guessing some meals don't include a protein source but just fat right? Salads with EVOO and no meat for example, but I would think it wouldn't keep you full very long without a little protein in the form of some meat, fish or otherwise.

I have often wondered if all this red meat and pork was as good as fish nutrient-wise, especially since I can't get much grass-fed meat around here. I can get antibiotic chicken, but that's about it. I suppose that even if I didn't go full on pescetarian (it would be impossible for me at my current lifestyle right now) I could up my seafood to higher level, but what added benefits would this have if any? And if I couldn't get the fish wild caught (few and far between as well) would it still outweigh the hormone laden grain fed beef and pork?

Sorry if I'm rambling...lots of thoughts going through my head. Appreciate any input.

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    Oh your salad can be filling. I did low carb vegetarian for years. Compared to that, pescatarian would be a breeze.
    Fresh water fish, ocean fish, oily fish, shell fish, crustaceans, etc. There are plenty of island cultures where their protein comes almost exclusively from shellfish.
    Obviously you would have to like fish. Which would be my main issue.
    And fish bones soften quite quickly when you make broth, so the bones are easy to eat.
    However, I couldn't be pescatarian. This is a middle north, land locked state. The idea of fresh seafood is a joke.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Benefits to eating most of your protien as fish: Omega 3, minerals much much higher than land animals, delicious. Shellfish in particular is extremely nutritious.
    Drawbacks: Expensive, limiting, there is no steak in the sea. The whole "mercury poisoning" thing doesn't worry me but if I ate a pound of fish every day I would look deeply into the issue.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't do it. Sure, you may have a great n3:n6 ratio, but the constant barrage of polyunsaturates in your diet would scare me. You'd probably be getting 10-15% calories from polyunsaturated fat in your diet if you're eating fish with EVERY meal! As Mark's post on variety outlined yesterday, it's the variety of food choice that prevents toxins to build up in your system. The reason why Americans get so sick is because wheat is a part of their DAILY LIVES. If you eat it for one meal every other week like you would with a more odd vegetable, like a pumpkin or an eggplant, it won't hurt you. I believe that fish is very healthy, but when you eat it every day, your polyunsaturate level is unnaturally high and too high for my tastes. What is healthier, a high polyunsaturate diet skewed to omega 3's, or a low polyunsaturate diet skewed to omega 6's? I don't think that's ever been shown.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I can easily eat fish with every meal, in fact I eat fish almost every day anyway. I prefer it to meat, and, particulary poultry (dunno why, I just don't like turkey and chicken all that much). But, I see no real reason to do so apart from keeping taste buds happy. I believe that the first nations on the Pacific coast mostly ate salmon, and Japanese subsisted mainly on fish as well. Exclusivity, though, in my view is never a good thing. I can never understand for example, people who have a fit when talking about Atkins, but praise vegetarians. Any sever restrictions on diet imo are contrary to human omnivorous nature and are a fad or a taste preference.

The only red meat I eat is hamburger, shredded and ground beef. I do not like steak at all. So it is limited to chicken and seafood for me.
    Pax, Lux

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    The only "what Grok ate" is what our direct ancestors ate. The current thinking is that they spent eons living by the ocean and by lakes and streams.

Primal is what Mark says it is. He considers his wife to be Primal and extremely healthy.

Look up Mark's recent posts about seafood to see what is best to eat or avoid.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

nitrofish1 is offline Member
    This sounds delicious. And it doesn't have to be expensive, if you can catch your own, which if you live lakeside, would really only take a little know-how and a few minutes of your day. And it's perfectly fresh, and hopefully mercury free. But yes, I think after a while I'd also want a steak. There are places overseas where people live on floating docks, and never see dry land, and fish their entire lives, so they would fall into that category. Can be done, but I like steak too. But really doesn't have to be expensive, only as expensive as you want to make it.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Sure, you may have a great n3:n6 ratio, but the constant barrage of polyunsaturates in your diet would scare me. You'd probably be getting 10-15% calories from polyunsaturated fat in your diet if you're eating fish with EVERY meal! As Mark's post on variety outlined yesterday, it's the variety of food choice that prevents toxins to build up in your system. The reason why Americans get so sick is because wheat is a part of their DAILY LIVES. If you eat it for one meal every other week like you would with a more odd vegetable, like a pumpkin or an eggplant, it won't hurt you. I believe that fish is very healthy, but when you eat it every day, your polyunsaturate level is unnaturally high and too high for my tastes. What is healthier, a high polyunsaturate diet skewed to omega 3's, or a low polyunsaturate diet skewed to omega 6's? I don't think that's ever been shown.
    So, wild caught fish is unhealthy because of a "constant barrage of unsaturates"? Please read: Nutritionism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    The whole "mercury poisoning" thing doesn't worry me but if I ate a pound of fish every day I would look deeply into the issue.
    This is a greater concern if you eat long-lived fish like halibut and rock fish and fish high on the food chain like swordfish (bioaccumumlation and toxin persistence). The issue is minimized with short-lived fish like salmon, herring, sardines, etc.

Just have kippered herring and eggs for breakfast (with a bit of smoked salmon on the side). I'm like a junkie with smoked fish.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast