Thread: Rendering tallow: FAIL page

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Rendering tallow: FAIL

Shop Now
    So, I bought my 2-pounds of grass-fed cow fat scraps and chopped it up small to throw in the crock-pot (with half a cup of water) to cook all day. I expected it to pretty much totally liquify, but most of it didn't. I got nice, soft, yummy fat scraps, but I sure didn't get tallow. What went wrong?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I would guess that the temperature didn't get high enough. Also if the lid was on tight, the added water and the water that is naturally present in the fat wouldn't have a way to evaporate, which is key to rendering fat. Try either turning the pot up to high or just doing it on the stove. I used the pemmican manual for directions on rendering my tallow.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    Not enough heat.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

My crock-pot actually runs a bit on the hot side. I had it on low and it was still bubbling all day long (6 hours after it started bubbling). Should it have been more of a full rolling boil? (I'm off to check out the pemmican manual link.)

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    My crock-pot actually runs a bit on the hot side. I had it on low and it was still bubbling all day long (6 hours after it started bubbling). Should it have been more of a full rolling boil? (I'm off to check out the pemmican manual link.)
    i render my bone broth for 3 days. i usually get a good amount of tallow after that time.

otherwise i do it in the oven next time i will go 12 hours versus 6
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

gordo is offline Senior Member
    I did mine right on the stove top without any water. It worked great.

Gordo

Well, I just checked out the photo's on the pemmican manual, and now I'm thinking that it came out the way it was supposed to. I just wasn't expecting so much of the cracklin's compared to quantity of tallow. I assumed that most of it would liquify with a small amount of solids.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. I didn't get a ton of cracklin's last time I made tallow. Maybe a cup or so from 2-3 lbs of suet. One thing that helps is chopping the fat REALLY fine. I've started using my food processor even to almost make a paste.

Yeah, I didn't cut it super fine. I'll use the food processor next time. I got about 2 cups of tallow from 2 lbs of fat. (Which I used this morning for cooking an omelette, and it did taste awesome!)

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    Yeah, I didn't cut it super fine. I'll use the food processor next time. I got about 2 cups of tallow from 2 lbs of fat. (Which I used this morning for cooking an omelette, and it did taste awesome!)
    I put the fat through the mincing (grinding) attachment on my Kenwood Chef. Minced fat renders down really well. When I first rendered fat down I just chopped it and ended up with far too many large, squidgy lumps of fat that hadn't fully rendered out.