Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rehydration page

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member

Rehydration

Shop Now
    Sorry if it has been asked before, with a forum this busy I am sure it has but my question pertains to rehydration. At night in addition to my one hour lunch work outs I have begun doing a 5k. I am around 250 pounds and do a 5 k in under 40 min each night which is no land speed record but not bad for moving that much meat around. I run at night but even at 10:30 it is around 90 degrees and 60% humidity. I notice that when I get back my head hurts a bit and I feel slightly dizzy even after sucking down a quart of water. Usually I will eat a few cherries or berries and after awhile feel better. My question is if anyone knows something primal to drink to help me out. Old me would have drank Gatorade, primal me just water. My wife is always offering up coconut water but it seems too carby for me. I appreciate your advise.

Conner P. is offline Senior Member
    half a lemon in your glass of water. natures gatorade (and it works better too)

dado Guest
    Yea, the lemon in water, wow, does wonders for the soul, you do have a soul, don't you?

Hey but that's great, that you're so big and run so well, you should be proud of yourself.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    First, you don't want to drink more than 16 oz at once and many bodies can no process more tha. 8 oz at once. Also look at your total intake per day and if it's over 150 oz. you may want to get your electrolytes checked by your doctor. A huge hit of water could be making this worse rather than better. Second, you may want to try adding some salt. You can add it to the water but that's gross, so rub some on the cherries. Although you may also want to try ditching the cherries. You don't really need to carb up for a 5k and it can set you up to go from a sugar high into a sugar low.

So states the fat half-marathner / triathlete who has been there with both hyponatremia and hypoglycemia. :-)
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    talk more on the water intake limit, what happenes to the rest?

I wake and drink 32 oz with a teaspoon of salt but if "Im doing it wrong" i want to do it right
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    The excess can disrupt your electrolyte balance and cause headaches or worse. If you are doing that and it working for you, great. However I do feel very strongly that anyone who is drinking more than 150 oz a day should see a physician. The problem with hyponatremia is that it feels very much like dehydration and you can end up drinking more and making yourself worse. People rarely die of dehydration; they do die from hyponatremia.

What happened to me was I was flying frequently, plus walking long distances, plus losing weight and I turned some of my food addiction problems into downing 2 or 3 glasses of water whenever I was thirsty instead of just one. I felt bad for about two months not realizing what was happening, and then on a particularly hot weekend I drank even more and got very very sick. Now I see 150 oz as a sign that it's time to change whatever makes me think I need to drink that much- whether it's an emotional problem or exercising too much in the heat. And there are surely people who can drink more than me, but I think those people need to have a medical evaluation to know that they are safe and 150 oz is frequently suggested as the line to draw for that.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    16 oz of water with half a lemon - sounds good to me :-) 150 oz a day is a lot. I probably do around 100 or so.

Thanks to all

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    First, you don't want to drink more than 16 oz at once and many bodies can no process more tha. 8 oz at once. Also look at your total intake per day and if it's over 150 oz. you may want to get your electrolytes checked by your doctor. A huge hit of water could be making this worse rather than better. Second, you may want to try adding some salt. You can add it to the water but that's gross, so rub some on the cherries. Although you may also want to try ditching the cherries. You don't really need to carb up for a 5k and it can set you up to go from a sugar high into a sugar low.
    This ^...

Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    The excess can disrupt your electrolyte balance and cause headaches or worse. If you are doing that and it working for you, great. However I do feel very strongly that anyone who is drinking more than 150 oz a day should see a physician. The problem with hyponatremia is that it feels very much like dehydration and you can end up drinking more and making yourself worse. People rarely die of dehydration; they do die from hyponatremia.

What happened to me was I was flying frequently, plus walking long distances, plus losing weight and I turned some of my food addiction problems into downing 2 or 3 glasses of water whenever I was thirsty instead of just one. I felt bad for about two months not realizing what was happening, and then on a particularly hot weekend I drank even more and got very very sick. Now I see 150 oz as a sign that it's time to change whatever makes me think I need to drink that much- whether it's an emotional problem or exercising too much in the heat. And there are surely people who can drink more than me, but I think those people need to have a medical evaluation to know that they are safe and 150 oz is frequently suggested as the line to draw for that.
    ... and this^.

I drink about a gallon of water a day during the summer, sometimes almost two, but that's because I sweat for at least 6 or 7 hours straight (working outside in the desert). I can get some really nasty headaches if I don't drink it slowly and also replace the electrolytes I've lost.

And it's not just about avoiding a painful headache. That headache is a sign that there are some serious issues with your brain, so it's a pretty big deal. I always make sure I have some coconut water in the cooler of my truck when I'm working. I'm mostly drinking water, but I make sure I supplement with some of the coconut water to balance out the plain water and replace electrolytres. Usually I end up with just one 11oz carton per day, and I think that's about 15g of carbs. Not that big of a deal if you're not getting a bunch of carbs from other places.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

primalTatoolover is offline Senior Member
    would everyone think its better to use a lemon in the water or salt? or both?

a_morgan24 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am a big fan of these Nuun tablets. Nuun They are super hydrating and I think they taste good too. You pop one in your water and let is dissolve but they have no sugar. I am sure grok/ette didn't use them but I feel ok cheating with them here is the nutritional info:

The following is the nutritional information for a serving of Nuun based on one tablet dissolved in 16oz (500ml) of water. There are under 8 calories per Nuun tab.

Active Ingredients level (mg)
    Sodium (carbonates) 360.0
    Potassium (bicarbonate) 100.0
    Calcium (carbonate) 12.5
    Magnesium (sulfate) 25.0
    Vitamin C 37.5
    Vitamin B2 500 mcg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast