Thread: Leptin reset and PB Fitness page

TARNIP is offline Senior Member

Leptin reset and PB Fitness

Primal Fuel
    I am going to be starting the Leptin reset as off next week and am curious to know whether or not Mark's PB Fitness program can be applied at the same time or do I need to keep exertion levels REALLY low by just going for a walk with no lifting or weekly sprints?

From what I read on Jack's site I still couldn't come to a definate conclusion but he says:

1. Do not work out before or after breakfast - (not a problem for me as the only time I get to myself is later at night).
    2. If you decide to incorporate working out do it after 5 PM - (Perfect for me!!)
    3. If you have trouble falling asleep I suggest 3-5 minutes of of body weight exercises right before bed (push ups or air squats are fine) (avoid this if your PM cortisol are high) - (This is the time when I do my resistance training but I obviously do a bit more than 3-5 minutes).

I am just curious if there is a limit to exercise as I know he speaks alot of trying not to raise cortisol levels and I have been known to be a chronic exerciser in the past......

All I am looking at doing is the exact PB Fitness plan as written by Mark- for me that would be a 40 minute casual walk 4-6 days a week, maybe 30-45 mins resistance training 2-3 times a week and I might leave the sprint out at this stage but seeing it is only a once a week thing it may be ok?
    Last edited by TARNIP; 07-06-2011 at 08:52 PM.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    The Mastering Leptin book says to get up to a few hours a day 3x a week of walking. All depends on where your at though. He says to only do as much as you can and still find it refreshing and energizing. If there is fatigue during or afterwards it is too long/fast/frequent.

Awesome!! Thanks for that PaleoMum!! I will just do what I can if I have the energy, but if not I will give it a miss and wait for my energy levels to increase . Over the past few months I had been doing 10,000 + steps daily (about a 6 km walk) and resistance training with bands 3 times a week, but there were days when I felt really tired but I still pushed through it - then I got the flu No more pushing throught the tiredness I think!

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Exercise depends upon how bad your body comp and LR is......Do you know your body fat by Dexa? Lean muscle mass? Total Weight? IF you dont have this info you are fighting this blind......you could get a reverse T3 and salivary cortisol......that is ok but not as good as a DEXA. If you are really overweight.....you should not exercise at all. You can however walk. I call really overweight anything over 50 over ideal BW. I think should make it clear. Exercise should be done after your last meal!

Thanks for that Dr K I will keep up with my walking

I am 44% body fat and about 45% muscle mass (according to a $300 set of Tanita scales - so not too sure how reliable they are). I am 5ft 2" and weight 187 pounds. I would like to get down to about 110-130 pounds. I had an EIS scan performed and the Naturopath gave me the results that I am extrememly difficient in calcium and Vit D3, I have thyroid issues, inflammation in my digestive tract, exceptionally high leptin levels (obviously resistant as I could eat just about all day every day) and I was severely dehydrated (despite the fact I drink between 3-4 litres of water daily - apparently it is sitting outside of my cells instead of inside them)....the advice was to follow a ketogenic diet with limitations on dairy as well as a prescription grade Omega 3 supplement, hi strength calcium supplement and Vitamin D3 drops....

I have also been diagnosed as having Ankylosing Spondylitis and have found that not eating starches as well as exercise helps with this a great deal too.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    Thanks for that Dr K I will keep up with my walking

I am 44% body fat and about 45% muscle mass (according to a $300 set of Tanita scales - so not too sure how reliable they are). I am 5ft 2" and weight 187 pounds. I would like to get down to about 110-130 pounds. I had an EIS scan performed and the Naturopath gave me the results that I am extrememly difficient in calcium and Vit D3, I have thyroid issues, inflammation in my digestive tract, exceptionally high leptin levels (obviously resistant as I could eat just about all day every day) and I was severely dehydrated (despite the fact I drink between 3-4 litres of water daily - apparently it is sitting outside of my cells instead of inside them)....the advice was to follow a ketogenic diet with limitations on dairy as well as a prescription grade Omega 3 supplement, hi strength calcium supplement and Vitamin D3 drops....

I have also been diagnosed as having Ankylosing Spondylitis and have found that not eating starches as well as exercise helps with this a great deal too.
    In 2007 I was 315 lb, and had a lot of the same issues. Reverse T3 was very high, vit D was low, insulin was high, trigs were high, cholesterol wasn't that great, testosterone was low, DHEA was low, and I had been on synthetic T4 for thyroid for years and it clearly wasn't working. I found a new doc that said is was hyprothyroid, adrenal fatigue, and insulin resistance. We didn't talk about leptin, but the doc said he had a lot of big patients that gained that much weight on synthetic T4, and the fix was to use natural (bio-identical) T3 instead.

I lost 120 lb in a year and blood tests look great. I did VLC, switched meds, and added some hormones and supplements. I lost that much weight with no exercising, because that just slowed progress.

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    In 2007 I was 315 lb, and had a lot of the same issues. Reverse T3 was very high, vit D was low, insulin was high, trigs were high, cholesterol wasn't that great, testosterone was low, DHEA was low, and I had been on synthetic T4 for thyroid for years and it clearly wasn't working. I found a new doc that said is was hyprothyroid, adrenal fatigue, and insulin resistance. We didn't talk about leptin, but the doc said he had a lot of big patients that gained that much weight on synthetic T4, and the fix was to use natural (bio-identical) T3 instead.

I lost 120 lb in a year and blood tests look great. I did VLC, switched meds, and added some hormones and supplements. I lost that much weight with no exercising, because that just slowed progress.

Wow thanks for that, we sound very similar. When I have thyroid tests done through my GP they all come back as in the 'normal' range. The scan was a naturopathic thing and their ranges aren't as broad so that was how they found the problem. I too notice that when I exercise it does tend to slow down my weight loss progression so I might just stick with a gentle walk a couple of days a week until all of my other issues sort themselves out