Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a nutrition advocate?

Becoming a nutrition advocate?

Shop Now
    I've been thinking a lot lately.

I live in Mississippi. This state is the the lowest in pretty much EVERY health marker. There was recently a study that colon cancer rates have dropped in every state BUT this one.

People here honestly have no idea what they're eating. They have no idea what it's doing to their body. They need a nutrition advocate--someone to teach them how to be healthy and how food affects their body.

I'd LOVE to do this. I'd love to teach people how to be healthy and how food affects their body and mind, but I have NO IDEA what I would use as a springboard to this. I have ZERO science background.

Anyone do anything like this? Ideas?

ShannonPA (that's an approximation... Y'know who I mean?) wrote on another post that she had trouble counseling diabetics in Detroit because they didn't even know what a carb was. I wrote a blog post that if you started with myplate and it didn't work, at least you learned something. It made me think of my fifth grade class where I really learned the food groups. Without an "agenda" you may be able to get into the schools if you were able to create a value-added presentation just on that. It's a start.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

I'm actually already in schools. It's for a COMPLETELY different purpose, but I'm there.

Physical education here is pretty much ZERO actual education. Students aren't taught anything about food or food groups or what they mean.

From what I've heard, you won't be learning about anything but CW nutrition if you take classes in college. I've heard tales of having to lie about answers on tests because the answer they want is wrong. If you're willing to put up with stuff like that, you could get some initials after your name so people take you seriously.

But I know what you mean. It would be nice to make a difference and help people feel better.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Yeah...that's my fear with any formal training...that's it's going to be stuff that I hate that's going to frustrate me, but I wonder how seriously I'd ever be taken without some fancy letters behind my name.

And down here, it's not just making people feel better, it's saving lives.

I'm starting school this August to be a "Wellness Coach" to teach people exactly this- nutrition, basic fitness, healthy habits in general. My program is called "Health Education and Wellness Specialization" and my first courses included Women's Health, Consumer Health, Yoga, Journaling for Health, and algebra. Come spring I'll be taking biology, anatomy and psychology, along with other wellness courses including human sexuality, behavior modification, addictions, and martial arts.

Diana, that sounds great! Where does one go to be a Wellness Coach; a regular university?
    That sounds like something I would do just for fun, regardless if I'd use it for a career later on.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Surprisingly, this is at my local community college.

There are degrees/certificates to become a nutritionist, dietician, public health official, doctor, nurse, personal trainer...

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbitt81 View Post
    I've been thinking a lot lately.

I live in Mississippi. This state is the the lowest in pretty much EVERY health marker. There was recently a study that colon cancer rates have dropped in every state BUT this one.

People here honestly have no idea what they're eating. They have no idea what it's doing to their body. They need a nutrition advocate--someone to teach them how to be healthy and how food affects their body.

I'd LOVE to do this. I'd love to teach people how to be healthy and how food affects their body and mind, but I have NO IDEA what I would use as a springboard to this. I have ZERO science background.

Anyone do anything like this? Ideas?
    I think about this too. I live in Alabama and see the same things. Let me know if you figure it out.

People just eat what is cheap and don't care. People eat what they grew up eating and if you suggest they change, it's like something is wrong with you. If you try to get logical and explain Paleo/Primal, they stop you as soon as they hear something that they "refuse to give up."

"What? Give up bread? I'm NEVER going to do that. I would rather be fat and sick. I don't want to hear any more."