Thread: Casein Protein page

29strong Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Does anyone out there know if there are any real dangers in using casein protein as a supplement? I have read references to cancer, usually pointing to the China Study, but the all seem spotty at best.

I do know from poking around MDA and several other sites that some people may be allergic or more sensitive to casein, but I don't seem to be. I am wondering if I am taking any big chances with casein as a pre-sleep protein shake (yes, I am currently enjoying it with milk)?

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member

Casein has some similarities to gluten so it does not agree with a lot of people, and that's the main case against it.

Casein protein drinks are a bit more glutinous than whey only drinks, and take longer to digest, so some prefer them for those reasons. My own opinion is that it's better not to take it before bed as going to bed on an empty stomach elicits a better growth hormone response. (I'm also not so keen on the texture - I prefer a less gloopy shake so stick with whey).

Ultimately, though, it's up to you. I very much doubt it'll give you cancer but like any food that is not well tolerated by the body, it can result in inflammation and that has been linked to cancer (but, indeed, that's not the same as saying casein gives you cancer directly).