Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crunchy snack ideas? page

Blackjack is offline Junior Member

Crunchy snack ideas?

Shop Now
    Hello everyone,

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was wondering if any of you have some good ideas for snacks with some crunch to them. I don't feel like buying pork skins too often, so I was hoping for some ideas from all of you. Ready to go snacks, or snacks that take time prep time- either is fine with me! Thanks for the help!

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Celery, carrots, raw nuts are my standbys.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Thespianpythia is offline Junior Member
    Low-Carb Snacks : Homemade Baked Cheese Crisps Recipe | Joyful Abode might be what you're looking for; a handful of these can be surprisingly satisfying. Another quick crunchy snack I'd recommend would be celery with a good nut butter (almond, cashew, whatever) or soft cheese. Oven-toasted nuts, too, are a good quick fix, and can be dusted with lots of different spices to make them interesting.

Baked vegetable "chips" are also excellent - kale makes great chips (Crispy Kale Chips | Mark's Daily Apple), and most root vegetables can be thinly sliced with a mandolin and turned into crisps in the oven. I've had good results with both beetroot and turnip: thinly slice them, brush or toss with a bit of olive oil or melted pork fat/beef tallow, salt and whatever herbs or spices you'd like, and spread the slices on a nonstick cooking tray or parchment paper so the slices aren't touching each other, then bake at 180C, turning every now and then, until crispy. Be patient, it sometimes takes longer than expected. The slices will shrink in the oven (all the water evaporating). I suspect that parsnips, celeriac and most other root vegetables would work well using this method too.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianpythia View Post
    Baked vegetable "chips" are also excellent - kale makes great chips (Crispy Kale Chips | Mark's Daily Apple), and most root vegetables can be thinly sliced with a mandolin and turned into crisps in the oven.
    I tried that with a sweet potato last week and they shrank quite a bit, but they were really good. I spritzed them with olive oil and sprinkled a little garlic salt on them. You definitely have to watch them, though.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Jicama!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    A totally unexpected and yummy snack- cold raw broccoli with a little water and salt on it. OMG so good. Even my CW coworker said it was yummy. Totally killed his potato chip craving- lol

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    Kale chips.
    If you eat rice, try puffed rice (sugar and filler free). I couldn't find them anywhere around, so I'm gonna attempt to make my own. I miss the crunch too
    You could also fry bacon very well (we often use the microwave). Put the bacon between two layers of baking sheet and pop it in the microwave for about 3 minutes; should get them nicely fried, and you can store it in a container and it should keep crisp/crunchy.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I've recently discovered kohlrabi at the farmer's market (or rather, discovered I actually like it). You can cut it in thin chips and it's very crispy. I like it with salt and lemon pepper.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Red or Green cabbage with some coarse salt (and, optionally, vinegar drizzle) on them. 100 times better than chips! Radishes and baby cucumbers. Small cornishon pickles also have quite a crunch to them.

I hear about people munching on seaweed sheets, but I am satisfied with cabbage.

I have roasted those thinly sliced almonds with skin (not slivered), and they are great, but high calories/high carb.

You can also buy a dehydrator and dehydrate your own apple slices.

I have heard about people crispying cheese in the microwave.

I tried making crackers with cheese and flax meal, and it tasted horrid.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Roasted, salted macadamia nuts are a big weakness of mine. It's a good thing that I don't want to lose any weight. Crispy fried bacon is just as good.

As a chip substitute, I've made sourdough buckwheat crepes and thrown them into the dehydrator. Not entirely primal, but I don't eat very many and I do soak, grind, ferment, etc to detoxify the groats.

Gordo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast