Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee pain when squatting... page

bobbitt81 is offline Senior Member

Knee pain when squatting...

Primal Fuel
    So, I've been doing Stronglifts.

I was supposed to squat 150 today.

I put 115 on the bar to warm up, and after 3 I felt some pain the right knee. I didn't like it, so I stopped.

I waited a minute and did a few air squats...I felt okay, so I stepped up to the 115 again, and I felt the pain the in knee again after about 3.

I rested again, gave it one more shot, and felt the pain again.

So I retooled, did a some sprinting....my right leg felt kind of funky. Just out of sorts from the foot to the knee.

I did some push presses and air squats, and, again, didn't feel any pain.

I don't want to hurt myself for sure, but I'm not sure how to go forward.

Should I cool it on the squats for a while? Should I work through it? Should I drop the weight and make sure I've got really good technique? Ideas?

dado Guest
    It shouldn't be serious if your form is right. Check your form.

If your form is good I say work through it.

Talked to my brother, who has an athletic training/Army medic background.

He thinks it's just an overuse thing. He suggested that I drop the squats to 2x a week, drop weight to make sure form is on point, and make sure I'm doing mobility work.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I wouldn't do heavy squatting more than twice a week. In most programs, you only see it once a week, especially if you deadlift too.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

dado Guest
    That's garbage. As a beginner you can squat 3 times a week no problem. Dropping weight and focusing on form is a good idea. But if you're sure your form is good now, then go through the pain.

You can't be scared of minor pains, just go through them.

I have a pretty weird elbow pain right now, over the last two work outs, but I'm going through and am sure it will go away soon enough. I know my body and know when it's serious and when it's not serious pain.

If you stop working out or disrupt your program every time you have a minor pain, you'll never get anywhere. Do you think that, over the next 12 months, you will be pain free for every work out? You won't. This goes with the game.
    Last edited by dado; 07-06-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    That's garbage. As a beginner you can squat 3 times a week no problem.
    Sure, as a beginner it's fine.

Dropping weight and focusing on form is a good idea. But if you're sure your form is good now, then go through the pain.

You can't be scared of minor pains, just go through them.

I have a pretty weird elbow pain right now, over the last two work outs, but I'm going through and am sure it will go away soon enough. I know my body and know when it's serious and when it's not serious pain.

If you stop working out or disrupt your program every time you have a minor pain, you'll never get anywhere. Do you think that, over the next 12 months, you will be pain free for every work out? You won't. This goes with the game.
    I don't think anyone is really qualified to give advice in this manner... especially if it's a knee we're discussing. I would be very cautious with a potential knee injury.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

Fair. As my brother said, "Let's be honest, dude. This working out thing is really new to you."

And he's right. I've been really sedentary for a long time.

I'm good with working through minor pains, I just don't want a minor pain to lead to a for real injury, and I don't know my body well enough to know when it's okay to push and when I need to pull it back yet.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    Squatting with good form won't bother your knees. Squatting with poor form can destroy them. This could either be a red flag or it could be nothing.

Gordo

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
    Sure, as a beginner it's fine.

I don't think anyone is really qualified to give advice in this manner... especially if it's a knee we're discussing. I would be very cautious with a potential knee injury.
    My point is that if his form is good, if he's sure his form is good, then he doesn't need to worry about serious injury. It's almost impossible to seriously injure your knees if you squat with correct form.

But only he knows this, and has to make this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Squatting with good form won't bother your knees. Squatting with poor form can destroy them. This could either be a red flag or it could be nothing.
    Yeah, that's why I'm not going to give any advice to continue heavy (for the OP) squatting. Since I can't see his form, and don't know exactly the 'pain' being felt (nor where in the knee), I have to refrain from giving any advice. See a trainer to get your form evaluated (one tip: make dead sure your knees don't drift inward during your reps), for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    My point is that if his form is good, if he's sure his form is good, then he doesn't need to worry about serious injury. It's almost impossible to seriously injure your knees if you squat with correct form.

But only he knows this, and has to make this decision.
    I can agree with that.

-- Blaise Pascal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast