Thread: Stockpile Bacon? page

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Stockpile Bacon?

Shop Now
    Guess the primal demand for bacon is affecting the prices! I know I have personally bought more bacon in the last 6 months than I probably have in the past 6 years!

Is It Time to Start Stockpiling Bacon? | Moneyland | TIME.com

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I'm buying pork belly futures!
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

SaraVZ is offline Member
    bacon from the local farms in my area charge $8+ per pound. It's a very rare treat!
    ~*Sara*~

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I buy uncured thick bacon from my local WFM for $8lb. The price is not such a big deal because I only eat 1-2 slices per day for breakfast, so it does last more than a week. Now, if I was the type of person who eats lots of bacon or have a family, then that will be too much to pay for bacon.

Even regular cured bacon around here will run you anywhere from $4-$6lb.......

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I eat conventional bacon (don't you wag your finger at me!) and when I was in the grocery store yesterday, they had good quality (I know - relative) bacon on for $1.49 a pound so I bought 5 lbs and put them in my freezer!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    The cheap store brand full of nitrates is $8 a pound here. WF uncured is $12 a pound.
    However, salted, thick sliced pork belly at the co-op down the street is only $6 a pound and it's locally raised.(which is rare for pork products here)
    We don't eat a ton of bacon, but I should stockpile some in the freezer should I find a good price. Problem is most bacon gives me a migraine. Even uncured, nitrate free. Only one type carried only at WF doesn't give me a wicked headache.

davem is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't stock pile, I'd make it.

I've been getting pork bellies (full belly, berkshire pig) for $1.49 - $3 a pound. Salt and curing salt is cheap, maybe $0.50 per 5# belly half? You get to flavor as you want, and it's counter stable. It's sub 20 minutes of work spread over 1 - 1.5 weeks.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    A friend of mine whose family is in the pig business (go NC!) explained this to me last summer before the law went into effect and I don't really remember, but there was a legal change last summer that advantaged large producers and made it more difficult for small producers and this caused the price to go up.
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

Red Wire is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    A friend of mine whose family is in the pig business (go NC!) explained this to me last summer before the law went into effect and I don't really remember, but there was a legal change last summer that advantaged large producers and made it more difficult for small producers and this caused the price to go up.
    Most changes to food laws and regulations favor large producers these days. I'm fairly lucky that the local dairy farm near me is certified as a historic landmark of sorts, preserving traditional farming techniques. They also have awesome bacon for $7 a pound.
    "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

ZenGopher is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I get it for $6.50 per pound from my local pasture-raised supplier. I guess that doesn't mean there won't be an increase soon but so far, here in West Michigan things are stable. But, if it were to happen that good bacon spiked, I'd look into getting pork belly and making my own.