Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almond flour, nut butter, and other exotic ingredients page

PillowFire is offline Junior Member

How do you guys afford this stuff? Almond flour costs a lot for very little. I get the impression that people on here use a lot of almond flour and nut butters and coconut milk and stuff. I have no experience with any of these things so I don't know. Any tips or advice? I'd love to have primal cookies and baked goods too.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

I don't use any of those things except the nut butter! I do have some almond nut butter in my food cupboard, but I find it so rich that a small taste is just sufficient. I've hardly eaten any.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I use almond flour VERY infrequently... so the expense is kind of cancelled out that way. heh.

Coconut flour is very inexpensive when you buy in bulk - I use it for my weekly waffles with my husband. And because it's SO absorbent you only use a little bit in most recipes.

Almond butter, like almond flour is kind of a treat... I don't eat very much at one sitting either, like PrimalK. It is much "richer" than peanut butter.

Coconut milk is cheap.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Griff is offline Senior Member

FNW, do you have a bulk source for coconut flour?

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I rarely buy/use either of them, but when I do I try to get a good price.

Nut butters- sometimes I buy it, sometimes I make it. A jar of almond butter costs about $7. I don't buy it unless I have a purpose for it, otherwise I'll eat it in a matter of 3 days. I have no self control with that stuff.

Nut flours- I use this very infrequently. We have a Co-Op about an hour from here that sells pecan flour for about $5/lb. I keep a couple bags on hand for "just in case."

Almond milk- I usually make it myself if I want it, then save the pulp for other projects. Almonds are relatively cheap at my grocery store, so I buy a ton of them when they go on sale. I do have a few cans of coconut milk in the pantry, but I'm starting to like it less and less. I doubt I'll buy much more of it.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I use a lot of almond butter, both for me and for my son's lunches. I get it at the health food store (they have a grinder) for $8 a pound, which I don't think is that expensive really.

I don't use almond flour that much, and actually, you can make your own if you have a food processor. I buy raw almonds in bulk from Sam's club. They aren't organic, but whatever.

I buy Aloha Nu coconut flour from amazon.com in a 5 lb bag for $25. In two months I've not even used half the bag, and I do a lot of baking in my opinion. Recipes call for a very small amount of coconut flour compared to traditional recipes with wheat flour.

I get thai kitchen organic coconut milk in bulk from worldpantry.com. A case of it, with shipping, comes to just over $2 a can, which is cheaper than the grocery store, not to mention convenient.

maba is offline Senior Member

I've been meaning to buy almond flour for the longest time but the price has prevented me from buying it. Most recipes I've seen that use Almond Flour are for baked goodies and I know I'll have little control with them, so haven't felt the need to buy it. As for coconut flout, FNW is right, a small amount goes a long way. I buy Almond Butter from my food co-op from the bulk containers. It's much cheaper than the pre-packed branded jars. Coconut Milk, I find, is very affordable. You can get the Thai Kitchen brand for less than 1.50 in some stores. If you know you are going to be using lots of almond flour, you could buy it in bulk from Amazon, will work out cheaper than the small packs in health food stores.

soror is offline Senior Member

I don't do a lot of baking myself, but tend to buy most things in bulk and on sale. Like FNW I tend to do baking 1x a week, Sunday for big breakfast day. I use TJ's almond meal when I can get it, but have ordered it in bulk before from Honeyville as well. Coconut flour I order from wherever I can get it cheaper at the moment and pay less than $5 a lb- TJ's almond meal is $4 a lb- cannot remember what I paid through Honeyville. I don't do a lot of nutbutters, but do eat some whole nuts- generally but in bulk- like through a co-op or if on sale. Right now the grocery stores have had a lot of plain nuts on sale. Not organic, but plain nuts, with nothing on them.

Mama to 4, wife to my love

Shine is offline Member

I used to use almond and coconut flour for pancakes and such, but I don't really have any desire for baked goods anymore. I would rather just have the eggs and fat alone without the thickeners.

Nut butters are my weakness; I really cannot stop eating it by the spoonful. Plus, it always makes me want fruit to put it on, and I end up gorging myself on fruit as well. I only buy a jar of almond maybe once every three to four months as a treat (usually in lieu of birthday or holiday desserts).

In the end, none of these exotic ingredients are necessary. Use them as treats or substitutions for traditional baked goods, but don't feel as though you need to incorporate them into your diet on a frequent basis.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Griff I got five pounds from amazon pretty cheap a bit ago. It will last me quite a while.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast