Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6ft and 150 lbs. Do I look healthy? page

rockstareddy is offline Senior Member

6ft and 150 lbs. Do I look healthy?

Many on here will know me for being that kid thats has always wanted to get bigger. I've never made massive gains despite being fairly fit and trying various methods. The only thing that had any effect was drinking loads of milk. I am a little skinny fat, and am working on this.

Anyway, Im fairly content accepting that I naturally have a skinny frame. Im not here looking for bulking tips any more. I recently read an article which argued that it was possible to be 6ft and 145lbs and look strong. This was very controversial as it was revealed that these stats were inaccurate and thus the claim was false:

Health Correlator: Maybe you should stop trying to be someone you are not

people argued such a claim is unachievable.

I am 6ft and 150lbs. A rare combination and particularly slim.

I know I am healthy, but my question to you, just our of curiosity is, do I look healthy? Do i look physically capable?

please be honest. I dont know how long it takes for photos to be approved and appear?

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.healthfreakrevolution.com

No more diets. No more stress. Health made easy. Living made incredible.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    might try one of the free image hosting sites, photobucket.com, use.com, etc

your bmi is on the low side of the healthy range so id guess you are ok. Willoughby Athlete Weight says you should weigh about 196 for your height FWIW
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Miles_ is offline Junior Member
    Do you know how much your Body Fat% is?

Aprox 10%. Would like to maintain at 8 though.

Thanks ill look into photobucket, never bothered with it in the past lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    might try one of the free image hosting sites, photobucket.com, use.com, etc

your bmi is on the low side of the healthy range so id guess you are ok. Willoughby Athlete Weight says you should weigh about 196 for your height FWIW

Wow 196, that means i would have to gain 20KG of muscle! Ain't happening lol. Not in any healthy way. When you see the pics you'll agree. its annoying my body just doesn't respond to whatever gaining training/food stimulus i throw at it.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Wow 196, that means i would have to gain 20KG of muscle! Ain't happening lol. Not in any healthy way. When you see the pics you'll agree. its annoying my body just doesn't respond to whatever gaining training/food stimulus i throw at it.
    Wait, are you talking Kg or Lbs? Big difference, obviously.

You can gain 20kg of muscle, though, if you commit to a good barbell program, such as Starting Strength or Squats and Milk. You just have to want to do the work.

PatrickF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockstareddy View Post
    Do i look physically capable?
    We could talk about something different as long as we can't see your pictures. Are you physically capable? Can you deadlift 1.5 times your bodyweight? Do a handstand, L-sit or planche pushup? Do a muscle-up?

I'm kind of tall and slim too. I'm 6'3" and was 170 lbs around a year ago, now I'm closer to 180 lbs with probably a bit less body fat. But I still can't do most of those things (the L-sit is close), but I wouldn't claim to be looking strong yet. Maybe in another year.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Wait, are you talking Kg or Lbs? Big difference, obviously.

You can gain 20kg of muscle, though, if you commit to a good barbell program, such as Starting Strength or Squats and Milk. You just have to want to do the work.
    well 196 is 46 pounds up which is 20KG i work in kg. I appreciate your thoughts but im not here for the workout advise. Youll just have to believe me when i say ive been there tried those methods, and without drinking milk till I felt like shit, it didnt work. I was distraught when I didn't reach my goal, motivation to work is never an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickF View Post
    We could talk about something different as long as we can't see your pictures. Are you physically capable? Can you deadlift 1.5 times your bodyweight? Do a handstand, L-sit or planche pushup? Do a muscle-up?

I'm kind of tall and slim too. I'm 6'3" and was 170 lbs around a year ago, now I'm closer to 180 lbs with probably a bit less body fat. But I still can't do most of those things (the L-sit is close), but I wouldn't claim to be looking strong yet. Maybe in another year.
    yer Im working on a few of those actually, not quite there, alot more body weight training to do, youre right will take time, got into the more functional/crossfit training style only recently, but I think it will improve my physique in the long run - if can keep to it, kickboxing is likely to take over my training at uni in a few months.

However in this thread im kinda focusing on the vanity side of things

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickF View Post

While I love what I bolded, I wouldn't necessarily say those are benchmarks for most people. The planche for instance, can take years to achieve and even more to master. The OP may also not give a flip about being able to do a handstand, and provided any 5 year old girl with proper training can do it it's also not a good benchmark for... anything other than balance (sure you have to be strong to hold it, but not extremely so)

The L-sit is great, but again, not a great test, I'm sure he can do an L-sit, given he's tall and skinny. An L-sit would be more impressive on somebody that was much heavier.

I'd instead ask: can you do a few pull-ups (how about with some weight strapped on you?) can you dip your bodyweight, squat at least your weight but on your back (meaning, can you squat 150lbs) etc etc...

to the OP: The Donald Cerrone thing isn't a good indicator because fighters are known to cut weight drastically prior to a weigh-in then try to pile it on before fight time. Figures are crazy and a lot of fighters can put back on 15-20lbs before a bout. Also, hasn't Cerrone dropped a weight class recently? I'm pretty sure he used to fight around 155lbs, meaning he probably "walks around" at 170-180lbs. A fighter's "walk around" weight is what they normally weigh, then they cut 15-20lbs before a weigh in to qualify. It's also said that a fighter (much like a body-builder going into competition) is at their weakest state, usually due to the extreme lengths they go to lose the weight, and all the water weight they lose in the process.

You're probably just fine. You can still work on increasing your strength and that should add some muscle to your frame.

I wanted to look like Yuri Van Gelder (gymnast) for a little while, I realize now how dumb that was when I'm likelier to look like Bruce Lee given my genetics and current frame.

dado Guest
    How much do you squat and bench press, out of curiosity?

If you get up to squatting something like 300 lbs there is no way you will stay 6'0" and 145, I don't think.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast