Thread: The Affordable Primal Blueprint page

Canadian is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I'm new to the PB. I'm reading that you should eat only organic grass fed meat and nothing processed. When looking on organic grassfed meat sites the prices are very high.

Does anyone know a place to get a good quality meat at affordable prices?

Thanks.

emmcubed Guest

Tough question. I guess this is one of those inherent difficulties in choosing to go primal. My wife and I are both teachers, hence, funds are limited and we are paid only once a month. It certainly is difficult to adjust financially to the primal lifestyle.

However...

I have found that while on the front end, the grocery bill seems high, that the returns are significant. We seem to eat far less frequently than we did before and the meats are much more satisfying. When I discovered MDA, I was also reading "Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. One of his tenets is to "pay more, eat less". We've found that this concept gels very well with the primal lifestyle. We choose to foot the bill, so to speak, so that we will earn the benefits in the long run (ie. having not eaten meats that are heavily laden with toxic substances).

What area of the country are you located in? I have a URL that might help you locate some locally raised, pastured meats.

PrimalK is offline Junior Member

Whilst the ideal is to eat organic etc, the idea isn't to bankrupt yourself in the process! Why not buy the best quality food you can afford whilst you're making the transition to primal? Emmcubed is right, you will probably eat less frequently and the meals will be more satisfying, hence you need to buy less quantity. I know that our shopping bills have decreased significantly, yet we eat far more quality meat than we did before.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Another vote for "spend more, eat less". Not a conscious decision, it just happens.

In the meantime, consider things like buying and cooking cheaper cuts of meat (brisket instead of fillet lol), or even offal.

If you can't afford organic - don't stress. I'm fortunate enough to have filled my freezer but before that I was struggling. The best advice seemed to be that if you buy "normal" meat, get it LEAN. All the nasty gunk ends up stored in their fat you see. Then you can top up your fat levels with e.g. organic butter, coconut oil.

Also, try for organic eggs.

From an environmental point of view, I'm all for organic veg, but in terms of my own health I'm not fussed. Local should mean fresher and better, regardless of organic status.

Annika is offline Senior Member

I don't buy meat at the store - good quality meat costs a lot in the stores near me (I don't have a big one like Whole Foods, so I don't know what their prices are like). I buy directly from the farmer. I've gotten to know a number of great farmers through our farmer's market, and while the meat is more expensive than CAFO (factory farm) meat, I am happy to pay more for my meat and less on packaged junk like Doritos and cereal. A big bag of Doritos or a big box of Cheerios cost about the same as a pound of grass-fed ground beef; which has more nutritional bang for the buck? I also buy cheaper cuts like ground beef or stew meat chunks. Steak is a rare treat in our house. Here is a website that can help you find farmers and farmer's markets near you: http://www.localharvest.org/

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

go_ginger_go Guest

Both myself and my best friend have remarked how much less we are spending on food now that we are Primal.

Check your local farmer's market and/or CSA -- there's a reason why Whole Foods is called Whole Paycheck.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Gonna have to search around to find meat and eggs.

I found someone at work who raises chickens and sells me eggs cheap (pretty much free range but we live in the north east so in the winter they add some feed) but still better than grocery store.

Meat, you have to find a farmer and buy in bulk. Maybe invest in a big freezer and put it in the basement/garage.

Don't expect to walk into whole foods every week and spend less... you will have to plan out a little

Canadian is offline Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your input

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member

I spend almost twice as much on groceries now than we used to. We just bought a side of beef though, and that will cut down on the cost of buying good meat from the grocery store, but not a ton.

I think it all matters how you used to eat. Lots of prepared, packaged foods and restaurants add up and you'll spend less on this diet just by buying simple foods and cooking at home. If, however, you were cooking simple meals at home from scratch already then you'll probably find a large increase in your bill due to the lack of grains and increase in meat and veggies.

I purchased all natural and organic food before paleo, but the organic meats really tip the price scale! We are spending about $1100 a month for 2 adults and 2 kids (4 and 6 years old, but eat more than we do!). That isn't including our cod liver oil, vit d3 and probiotic supplements, which is also pricey.