Thread: Good Fat Sources? page

Chad2298 is offline Junior Member

Good Fat Sources?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know there's the typical Olive Oil, butter and nuts. Well my problem is I can't get fat from nuts because I'm allergic. Can I get some other good Ideas for fat sources, besides the obvious meats and Oils?

Thanks in advance.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Full-fat greek yogurt.
    Hard cheeses (or soft ones, if you tolerate dairy well enough).
    Avocado
    ghee
    Mayo

Don't forget that a lot of non-fatty things can be cooked in fat. I cook my greens (chard or spinach) in bacon grease and/or butter, with garlic and other seasonings.

For the purposes of your allergies, does coconut count as a nut? There really aren't that many others that I would use either. I don't even eat nuts all that often or all that much at a time. Most of my cooking is done with olive oil, butter, or bacon grease (in reverse order, actually). Nuts are handy for snacks for some people but not really necessary.

Also, I read a few articles lately that you might be interested in, if you can get your doctor to go along with it:
    Overcoming Peanut Allergy

No, coconut doesn't count. I already eat a lot of coconut. As for the dairy, I Don't really do dairy either, it never sits well with me. Don't know why.

Thanks for the suggestion on the allergy, it's an interesting thing to look into.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    What's your goal here? What I mean is why aren't facts from meats and oils enough? Are you avoiding those? A bit more background might let folks give you better answers.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    grab 3-4 pounds of beef ribs
    slow low roast in the oven until no more fat is rendered. 250degrees max

Glory in your beef tallow I use mine for everything now. Butter is only for sweet things

Oh yea then eat the ribs with a primal sause
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Oh, my bad. Don't get my wrong, i love Oils and butter and those types of fat, it's more I'm trying to mix it up some. Find other good sources.

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Gotcha! Thanks for clarifying. I think mixing it up is a great idea. Mark doesn't worry much about variety, but I think it's a really good thing to have.

One thing that you didn't mention was fish (though that may count as "meat"). Definitely a good source of oils (see the Daily Apple blog -- Mark discussed fish types a week or two ago). Eggs are also a good source. You mentioned dairy as an issue for you, but I'm guessing that's milk. I make eggs a central (and cheap!) part of my diet. 5 grams of fat per large egg.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad2298 View Post
    Find other good sources.
    I think most have been covered by you or by others in the thread.

Pork belly—but perhaps that's already covered under "obvious meats".

Goose grease, perhaps. I just got a 350 g jar imported from France. It says "from geese that are allowed to feed freely" on the label—I guess that means they've been running about outside. The jar didn't cost an arm and a leg. Goose fat is tasty. I think its profile is closer to olive oil than some animal fats—more monounsaturated—not necessarily a good thing in itself but adds variety. Conventionally, it's often used for roasting potatoes, but it's possible to find other uses for it. I sometimes fry a 3-egg vegetable fritatta in a tablespoon of goose grease—works well. I've also tried scrambling eggs with it as a change from butter, and that's fine, too, although I think butter's really best for that.

I guess there's seafood, too. Obviously oily fish regularly is a must, but maybe some bivalves, too. Oysters and mussels look to have a reasonable amount of fat. I just googled seafood and fat up and found this table:

Fat in Seafood

In fact, oysters in particular are very rich in a lot of nutrients, so I guess anyone who has a good source of those is onto a winner.

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    As others have said, you can pretty much take a fatty meat of your choice and render the fat out of it. I always have jars of bacon fat in the fridge, and coconut oil and olive oil in the cupboard. I'm allergic to nuts, too - it's not hard to get fat other places. Kinda sucks when you want to bake a little treat, though, since so many primal recipes use almond flour.

One word about the allergy therapy, though - they can't "cure" it, they just get you to the point of not going into anaphylactic shock if you're accidentally exposed. I got all excited about it when it first hit the news circuit, and then was sad when I found out that it would not let me enjoy almond pancakes.

Lewis - Oh my God, goose fat is divine. Hell, goose in general is divine. My family's always had goose instead of turkey for Thanksgiving, and I swear this year I'm going to cart all the rendered fat home with me (What's that, Mr. TSA agent? I can't take these jars on the airplane with me? The hell you say, you can have my goose fat when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers!)