Thread: Leptin reset and snacking- how does your body know what food is? page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

Leptin reset and snacking- how does your body know what food is?

Shop Now
    from what i understand when trying to do a leptin reset you dont want to snack between meals or after dinner because snacking causes your brain to send signals at the wrong time which basically turns off the fat burning process

my question is, how does your body interpret what is food and what isnt?

what i mean is, does your body react the same to liquids as it does to solid food? if so wouldnt anything other then water cause the same brain reaction as a solid food snack? if not then why couldnt you simply liquify any foods in order to snack?

what about medication? i take several meds at night before bed, how does my body not see those as snacks?
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    What I understand from the Mastering Leptin book is that you don't want to intake anything that will cause your body to release insulin. No artificial sweeteners or other food. Coffee and Tea are supposed to be fine and of course, water.

ok that makes sense. its the release of insulin that causes the process not the actual action of eating

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    As I understand it, yes. I really recommend that book too if your interested in the detailed whys and hows of leptin.

cool thanks i just actually started reading about leptin yesterday so i will definitely have to pick the book up
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Barb is offline Senior Member
    Food has protein, carbs, and/or fat in it - something you have to digest (break down into smaller molecules) before you can absorb and assimilate it. Milk is liquid and babies bodies sure know it is food! Artificial sweeteners may not have any calories, but the taste may trick the body into releasing insulin because they taste like sugar. Water is not food - and if you drink it plain or flavored with tea, coffee, or herbs it still does not have to be digested, it just gets absorbed. If you add sugar and cream to the drink, you have just turned it into food.

DigitalSurgeon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    from what i understand when trying to do a leptin reset you dont want to snack between meals or after dinner because snacking causes your brain to send signals at the wrong time which basically turns off the fat burning process

my question is, how does your body interpret what is food and what isnt?

what i mean is, does your body react the same to liquids as it does to solid food? if so wouldnt anything other then water cause the same brain reaction as a solid food snack? if not then why couldnt you simply liquify any foods in order to snack?

what about medication? i take several meds at night before bed, how does my body not see those as snacks?
    your brain is told everything about your environment by hormonal signals.......leptin is the master hormone. Never snack at all. Anything that causes an insulin spike will screw a LR person up for a serious amount of time. 1-2 weeks.