Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do we have primal fish coating? page

nitrofish1 is offline Member

Do we have primal fish coating?

Primal Fuel
    I'm cooking alot of fish currently and was wondering if there was a Primal recipe for a fish breading comparable to a fish fry batter?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You can use almond meal or coconut flour. It won't be quite the same as a grain-based batter, but should give you a similar feel. Mark has a recipe at the bottom of this post:

Coconut Flour | Mark's Daily Apple
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Crushed pork rinds are also an option, but the best non-grain "breading" I've EVER had consisted mostly of ground macadamia nuts. Seemed like part of it was finely ground and then there were larger chunks of the nuts - it was deeeelicious.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

jet47 is offline Junior Member
    I use almond meal mixed with food processed pecans and any seasonings you like (garlic salt, pepper). I dip the fish in egg and batter. I then pan fry in coconut oil and butter. I mix some yellow onion in as well some time.

The batter doesn't stick quite as well as conventional, but what falls off you can put back on when done, it really turns out pretty tasty. Batter sticks better if you can refrigerate for 15 -20 minutes after.
    Started Primal diet Feb 1 2011
    Weight 298.8 BMI >40%
    Currently 255.6 BMI 35%

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jet47 View Post
    I use almond meal mixed with food processed pecans and any seasonings you like (garlic salt, pepper). I dip the fish in egg and batter. I then pan fry in coconut oil and butter. I mix some yellow onion in as well some time.

The batter doesn't stick quite as well as conventional, but what falls off you can put back on when done, it really turns out pretty tasty. Batter sticks better if you can refrigerate for 15 -20 minutes after.
    Ok, I'll be making some fish now.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    Ah, I can never stomach whole fish. I have to make it into fish salad. This assumes your cut is about 5"x5":

1. Shred the fish into small chunks.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together three heaping spoonfuls of mayo, a half a cup of water, a teaspoon of paprika, 1/2 garlic clove (minced), and the chopped greens of a single green onion. Stir until consistent.
    3. Mix together with the fish until the fish is finely coated in a layer of sauce.
    4. Chill until ready to serve.

I also like mixing in small cuts of celery to give it some crunch.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Originally, the batter was there to protect the fish from the severe heat of frying. The batter was cracked, the fish released, eaten and the batter discarded. You could do it that way.

If it is crunch you're after wrap a crisp salad leaf around the pieces of fish as you pull them from the coat of batter.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    I use a mix of ground macadamias and almond flour. Tastes good.

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    I dip firm white fish into beaten egg, then coat in grated coconut, and bake or fry in butter. Delicious! Finely chopped pecans also make a great coating.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    Tonight I dipped my fish in egg and then in crushed pork rinds. I thought it was a comparable to panko bread crumbs. Yummy and crispy. Even my picky kids liked it.
    ~Sandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast