Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scott Jurek and other Vegan Athletes page

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member

Scott Jurek and other Vegan Athletes

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So... how do these guys do it?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    They are probably built for it?

This WOE/WOL is not necessarily the end all, be all for everyone. It works for a lot of people, but just like everything else, it is totally different for each person. Genetics and where you are descendent from are probably two factors.

I know a couple vegan, natural (no steroid/HGH/etc) body builders. While they aren't massive, hulking figures, they are pretty damned big guys and they compete (and place) against other guys that eat like we do.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

So, is it possible for me to be more gatherer than hunter?

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Everything you consume has pros and cons. A primal diet has a lot going for it in the "pros" column that I hope will give me a longer and much healthier life. Can you live a long, healthy life on other diets? Sure.

What I think you'll find is that it takes a lot more discipline to be healthy and fit on other diets than on Primal. My experience is that I can be much fitter, leaner and healthier on Primal without having to go hungry. The more carbs in your diet, the more hunger you generally should expect for the same number of calories consumed. I stick to a much lower carb diet with plenty of animal products, vegetables, nuts and fruits. I avoid most simple sugars and almost all grains (just a very rare cheat for a good beer or Irish whiskey).

Also, you need to pick your foods carefully. Very starchy vegetables (like white potatoes) are pretty much pure calories with little else going for them. They've been bred to be giant calorie blobs for thousands of years, so that's what they've become. Go for denser, more nutrient-rich vegetables. Otherwise you may find yourself always hungry, grabbing for the next serving of carbs and heading towards obesity and diabetes. Self-control!

Regardless, grains are likely a Bad Thing. How bad varies from person to person, but I know for me they create a laundry list of health problems from asthma to acid reflux to poor sleep patterns and poor moods.

Good luck!
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    I know several vegan athletes. Many have only been vegan a short while (3-5 years). Most life-long athletes I know are omnivores or FORMER vegetarians. Bone health in the long run may very likely cut these peoples careers short. People always argue that Dave Scott (Ironman World Champion six times) is a vegetarian. The fact is he WAS a vegetarian. Yes, he performed at a very high level, but eventually returned to eating a more or less omnivorous diet of lots of greens and veggies with milk products and some fish and occasional foul and ruminant because he says he just feels better when he does eat this way.

Even Cordain admits we are more gatherer than hunter.

Dave

Nion is offline Senior Member
    Some people just defy science, honestly. I was a long distance runner when i was younger (10-11) and could run for miles and miles, i could also power sprint really freaking fast - all this time i was severely undernourished (poor, POOR family that did not care).
    Goodness knows how i did it. Probably sheer force of stubbornness :P
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    b-12 shots, and other shit. I recently read a newspaper article on some "vegan" cyclist doing Tour de France... oh.. but he's eating salmon. Yeah, I didn't get it either and it was a featured story.

Scott Jurek was featured in some show about obsession on TLC. Dude is (or maybe was) literally addicted to running marathons. He was doing I think 4 a week or something ridiculous like that. His health, according to the show, was in danger, and his relationship (with the girl from Born to Run) ended as a result of his obsession.

I know it doesn't relate at all to his diet, but it does prove one thing: all vegans are crazy

dado Guest
    Scott Jurek is a bum.

I have a friend who calls herself a "meagan." She doesn't eat any animal products or grain, but she does eat meat! HA HA! Basically, she's primal, but I think "meagan" is funny.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unshod Sarah View Post
    So, is it possible for me to be more gatherer than hunter?
    Totally possible.

For some, Primal eating means eating lots of veggies and some meat while adding fat from coconuts, olives, nuts and avocados to meet their body's demands. For others, such as myself, Primal eating means huge portions of meat (20oz at each sitting usually) with a small amount of vegetables/fruit. Snack on nuts, cheese and chocolate. All depends on how you feel I guess.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast