Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: homemade mayonnaise question page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

So I made some homemade mayonnaise a while back, and it worked out really well... but I used extra virgin olive oil and the flavor was much too strong!

What kind of oil would you recommend using to get a mild flavored mayo sort of like the gross industrial storebought ones I'm using now? (gross because of soybean oil, not because of flavor)

While the baconnaise thing sounds great, I need something I can pour from a bottle - something quick and easy... because I get so tired lately that I even had to sit down to make my chicken salad yesterday. So standing around making bacon mayo isn't likely to happen... I need something FAST.

Thanks in advance!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

In Eat Fat, Lose Fat by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon, there's a recipe for mayo that I really like. It doesn't have so much of the strong flavor of olive oil becuse it also uses coconut oil and sesame seed oil. I altered their recipe just a little bit to make it easier. Here's how I make it:

In blender container, put two whole eggs. Add 1 tsp. mustard (Dijon is good, but I use dry mustard). Add 1.5 Tbslp. lemon juice and about 1/2 tsp each of salt and black pepper. Put blender on low and make sure lid is on tight. In my blender, it has a little plug handle on top that you can remove so the top is still on but you have a hole to pour things in. While blender is whirring, slowly pour in 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup warmed coconut oil, 2 Tblsp. sesame seed oil. As you add the oil, the mayo will begin thickening, but just keep adding. When you're done adding oil, if it's thick enough, you can stop, otherwise add a few more drops of oil (any of the 3) until it's thick enough.

I've made this several times, and the ratios above are to my own taste, but you might want to alter a little. It keeps at least 3 weeks in the fridge. It helps if the eggs are at room temperature when starting.

kam904s is offline Member

I guess I'm confused as to why you think using bacon grease is harder than using olive oil or some other oil? When I make mayo I use the recipe from above but instead of using olive oil or another oil, I simply use the grease I've collected over the past few weeks.

If you're thinking about how the grease is solid when kept in the fridge, an easy way to remedy that is to always pour the grease into the same glass jar and when it come time to make the mayo, warm it up in the microwave for thirty seconds or so. Then it's liquid but not fresh from the stove.

Either way, I hope you find a good recipe for your taste buds! Good luck! :-)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I would try the non-VOO, Lite or whatever they call it. It is not expeller pressed, but if you need an option, there it is.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Yes, exactly, kam904s. I sometimes use the lard I've rendered from grass-fed pork leaf lard (warmed a little in the microwave) instead of the coconut oil. Truly, I like the taste better. A couple of hard boiled eggs, chopped up with some onion and celery, a few spoonfuls of that homemeade mayo and some extra mustard (I love mustard) makes a great quick meal.

well mostly because i'd have to make a whole bunch of bacon because lately my husband has been using up the bacon grease, and i can't stand the smell of bacon right now so we haven't been making any more. hahah.

anwyay... thanks for the other ideas. If anyone else has more ideas please chime in.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

maba is offline Senior Member

I made mayo at home for the first time 2 days ago. It was a tad intense because of the dijon mustard but it was tasty nevertheless. I added a clove of garlic, so technically it was aioli. Lite olive oil, like what OTB suggests, is what came to my mind first but only recently did I find out that it is refined. I like Sharonll's idea of using CO. What fats do you have at home FNW? I think it was posted here a few days ago, an article on mayo made with different fats and the author said mayo made with bacon grease/lard won hands down. The one made with tallow, according to him, was too intense. I guess that didn't really answer your question. I guess you could just use the fat with the least intense flavor. If it's saturated, just melt it and use it. That gives me an idea, I think mayo made with ghee would taste kick-ass.

Mr B Guest

Think I'm going to have to try Sharon's recipe.

I've been trying to figure out how to tone down the olive oil flavor, as well.

Baconaise is good. And, I've done 50/50 coconut oil/olive oil...and it was still too distinct.

I have EVOO and coconut oil - very little bacon grease in the fridge (as I said hubs has been using it up and we can't cook bacon now because it makes me sick), I THINK I have some sesame oil... but I'm not opposed to buying something.

And do you think refined (light) olive oil would be better than the soybean oil in storebought mayo? I think probably... maybe worth a try.

Mr B Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Nutritionally speaking...the homemade (refined/light/virgin/extravirgin/bacon/whatever oil) mayo is superior.

but....taste-wise...nothing beats hellmann's real mayo. lol

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast