Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vitamin D question page

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I read that 30 minutes of full-body exposure to the sun will make you make 10,000 IU of vitamin D, which is a good amount to get daily.

Well, does that mean... naked exposure? Because it's winter and I'm wearing pants and jackets. If basically just my hands and face/neck are exposed, how long would I have to stay outside to get the 10,000 IU?

And does it matter if the sunlight is less direct in the winter too?

Should I just get a supplement and start taking that daily (along with my prenatal vitamin and fish oil)? How much should I take if I go that route?

I do NOT want to get sick, especially while pregnant - I also don't want to get the flu shot or H1N1 shot (I never get flu shots ever - I just think they're a bad plan). But I do want to have backup "protection," you know?

Any information is much welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I just take a vitamin D supplement. It's not always sunny where I live and I don't have a lot of free time during the daylight hours to expose myself. lol

I take a regular multivitamin that has vitamin D in the morning. At night I take a calcium-magnesium supplement and take an additional vitamin D supplement with it. I think the calcium is like 1000 mg in that pill, the magnesium is like 400 mg, and the vit D is 400 mg as well.

I'm probably peeing most of all that out, but whatever.

No flu shot or H1N1 shot for me and so far, so good.

haha "expose yourself."

My prenatal has vitamin D but like... a laughably small amount compared to the 10,000 IU we "should" be getting a day.

funny about the peeing - so true.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

hakman73 Guest

good source on vit D is www.vitamindcouncil.org

From what I've read though you have to expose at least your upper body (minus strategic regions of course) to get benefit from sun. Also you have to do it in between 11AM and 13PM or about so - otherwise you do not enough UVB. Winter is also another weakening factor for UV radiation, so I'd definitely consider supplementing.

I got my pregnant wife to supplement 5000IU daily.

Maybe the amount should be even higher as some study indicated 4000IU dose didn't guarantee sufficient level of 25(OH)D level in newborn infants..

I also read an article about a study showing that doses over 10 000IU daily do not cause any adverse effects.

Anyway - most of studies showing vit D toxicity are based on vit D2 instead of D3..

One recomendation though - if you are going to get vit D3 make sure you get softgels not normal pills as those absorb much better.

Bear in mind also that for vit D to really kick in and start showing in blood serum levels you have to keep it up for at least weeks if not months.

Hope it helped

Thanks hakman. So D3 is what I want?

I haven't actually looked at the supplements yet... how many pills does your wife have to take to get the 5000IU?

And no worries about the "kicking in" thing - I will definitely make it a daily thing.

hakman73 Guest

I got her 2400IU bottle of 180 pills - that was the biggest dose available at amazon.co.uk at that time

So she has to take 2 pills daily, but there are 5000IU ones available as well. I've even heard of 50 000IU ones

Do a search in on-line health stores and you'll definitely find something.

This article is also worth a read:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/79/5/717

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

FNW:

I'm taking 4K units of D3 per day...figured that was a good place to start. It's really been helping my SAD. I also take a walk for about 2 hours per day in the sun, if possible. It's usually pretty cool; but walking up the hills warms me up, and I usually am down to jeans and short-sleeved T.

You could easily go 6K, I think. A lot of folks here have gone to 10K for the flu season...

hakman73 Guest

It really depends what level of protection you want. It seems that 1 g (40 IU) of vitamin D intake increases circulating 25(OH)D by 0.28 ng/mL and you reach steady level in about 90 days.

This link gives a good reference about what kind of defence divverent serum levels give you:

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/tedhutchinson/chronicdiseasepreventionvitamind-1.jpg

Oh.. one more thing - you might want to take your vit D in the morning or over a day as it might give you insomnia when taken with your dinner. Experienced that one myself

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I spent at least a few hours in the Florida sun every week doing yard work and walking on the beach. I started 6000IU's maybe in late June, early July.

I had blood work done a month and a half ago and my D was at 48 ng/dl. Now, that's really really good compared to the general population, but not what I would like. Over 30-32 is being recognized as therapeutic and 60 or more as "You are now probably disease and cancer proof."

I upped my intake to 10,000 IUs with the end of summer.

It's cheap, it's hard to over do it.

OTB that's awesome. Thanks for your experience. What is the blood test called? Like what would you ask the doctor for? "Will you please measure my Vitamin D level?" - I know they have to take more blood from me in a couple months for a follow-up pregnancy panel thing, and maybe I can get them to run that too.

hakman that's a neat chart but I'm not sure I 100% understand it - is there a link to a page that has the chart on it with more explanation or a key or something?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast