Thread: Total Body weight training - Help needed please! page

sarahz is offline Senior Member

Total Body weight training - Help needed please!

Shop Now
    Ok - so I really could do with some help. If I go and see a trainer at the gym I know I won't get what I am after. I have basically been overtraining my whole life working out consistently 6 days a week, strength and cardio training. I went to see a Biosignature guy today who worked out I have a estrogen problem which is no surprise to me as I can see it in my thighs and calves yet I am lean everywhere else. I weigh 55kgs and my bodyfat is 16%. Clearly I have no issues with diet. His recommendation for exercise (amongst other things) is for me to drop all cardio and just do 3 days per week of total body weight training, working time 40-60sec with a rest time of 20-40secs and not exceeding a total of 40mins.

I have the primal blueprint fitness but wanted something I can do at the gym with weights as a total body workout. Clearly squats, deadlifts and chinups should be included. Can anyone help me out.

The other days will be spent either doing pilates, nothing or walking at this point of time. It will be a big change for me.

Help appreciated!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    check out a weights program like starting strength or stronglifts. both are progressive, cover all the big movements, and really build strength. also, a lot of people here are familiar with those programs and can give you a lot of support.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    check out a weights program like starting strength or stronglifts. both are progressive, cover all the big movements, and really build strength. also, a lot of people here are familiar with those programs and can give you a lot of support.
    That.

For variety's sake you could also throw in some days of reverse pyramid work. Taking the same lifts from Starting Strength or StrongLifts but instead of keeping the same weight for all sets you start with your heaviest weight (perhaps test out a new personal record, or PR) then your subsequent sets are with less weight, and attempting to do more reps.

I like both Starting Strength and StrongLifts but I can't go too long without doing a reserve pyramid day as above. They feel awesome, and give you a pump unlike SS or SL (I attribute that to the higher rep ranges) which while some say matters not (and they're probably right) psychologically to me it feels really good. Besides, I worry about not working enough muscle endurance in the other programs.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Day 1 - Squat, Bench, Deadlift
    Day 2 - Hill sprints
    Day 3 - Clean and press, weighted pullups and weighted dips

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Arthur has a good plan up there, but without a weight progression plan (increase every workout, every two weeks, what?) and a rep scheme it's incomplete. You could also check out the PTP-style 40 day workout (Dan Johns) - it's more volume per week but less per day.

Starting Strength is a fantastic place to start and it's supported with excellent form and safety tips (he has a great video and book) as well as variations on the plan. Basically, all of these programs take you through rapid and linear gains with the exercises Arthur mentioned.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/