Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REAL Eggs!!!!!! page

MoBob is offline Member

REAL Eggs!!!!!!

Primal Fuel
    Which one(s) are the real, next door farmers eggs (grass and bug eating chickens) vs. the "organic" pastured, vegetarian fed eggs??????

During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    It always bothers me when I see an egg carton proudly proclaim "vegetarian fed." Pffft.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    The golden yolks look so much better than the pale one.

It bothered me to see "vegetarian fed" pasture raised pigs - I mean, come on. Pigs are omnivores. They eat small animals as part of their natural diet. Why deny them of that?

bridiessong is offline Junior Member
    I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    The golden yolks look so much better than the pale one.

It bothered me to see "vegetarian fed" pasture raised pigs - I mean, come on. Pigs are omnivores. They eat small animals as part of their natural diet. Why deny them of that?

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Well, unless the chickens are caged up they can't really stop them eating the odd beetle or whatever. And presumably, by "pastured" they mean they're free range.

"Vegetarian" here is meaningless—except perhaps insofar as regards the feed they're actually given.

All the chickens from both sources willl be given some feed.

Presumably, the "vegetarian" feed won't contain fishmeal and amino acids as much chicken feed does.

As for the colour—it doesn't always tell you much. I've seen yolks with that much variation in colour in the same box from the same source. On the other hand, what's in the feed can affect the colour: a farmer (more a smallholder really) told me he'd stopped using a particular feed, because the yolks were less yellow. IIRC, he said it was because the feed in question had no maize in it. And then again I understand it's not unknown for chicken feed to actually contain dye.

Maize in the diet certainly has an effect on the skin of chickens. How much maize actually was in the diet can be checked for by analysing the carbon-12/carbon-13 isotope ratio. That's been done in past and the answer has often been not very much. The yellowish skin was actually down to dyes the farmers had fed the chickens.

Really, it's caveat emptor.

Use a source that seems trustworthy. How much even so-called free-range chickens get out is variable. If you can use someone local and are actually able to see them roaming around, so much the better.

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    It always bothers me when I see an egg carton proudly proclaim "vegetarian fed." Pffft.
    You know what that screams to me? Grain fed and kept in a cage with no access to the bugs that chickens love. That's like putting, "We proudly abuse our chickens!" on the carton.

BTW... Interesting inks in your sig, especially the How can a Christian be primal? Echoes many of my own thoughts.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Betho is offline Senior Member
    You know it's funny because I have 5 chickens, 3 different breeds and the yolks from my white leghorns (the typical commercial breed, though they are my most aggressive foragers) are jumbo size yet a shade paler in color than the large size green eggs that I get from my Easter Egger hens. Having said that, none of my hens' eggs are even close to that insipid yellow color of commercial eggs They range all over our 3 acres searching out the next bug.

Leanne is offline Senior Member
    I know of one farmer's market egg seller who feed his hens dried calendula flowers in the winter specifically to keep the deep orangey yellow yolks all year round when they have less bugs and fresh feed naturally available. Same effect as dye I suppose but at least it is a natural alternative. I have no idea if feeding them calendula adds any nutritional value.
    The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Just found a link on the subject. How yellow the yolk is apparently is an indication of the carotenoids it contains. The yellower the yolk, the more carotenoids. The egg -- good as gold! The yolk apparently reflects how nutritious the egg is and the diet of the chicken that laid it. Interesting stuff!

Leanne - Apparently, calendula (marigold) is a powerful antioxidant, so I'm thinking maybe that gets passed to the eggs?
    Last edited by Sanctus Real; 07-05-2011 at 11:02 PM.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    BTW, talking of animal feed, anyone remember the Chinese melamine scandal? That turned up in eggs in Hong Kong.

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Chinese melamine scandal widens

Melamine can result in plastic kidney stones.

I'm afraid the Chinese have been up to dodgy stuff for years:

Dried apples preserved with a cancer-causing chemical.

Frozen catfish laden with banned antibiotics.

Scallops and sardines coated with putrefying bacteria.

Mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides.

These were among the 107 food imports from China that the Food and Drug Administration detained at U.S. ports just last month, agency documents reveal, along with more than 1,000 shipments of tainted Chinese dietary supplements, toxic Chinese cosmetics and counterfeit Chinese medicines.

For years, U.S. inspection records show, China has flooded the United States with foods unfit for human consumption. ...
    Tainted Chinese Imports Common

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast