Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vibrams chewing up my feet... how do you handle blisters? page

davem is offline Senior Member

Vibrams chewing up my feet... how do you handle blisters?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I think I need to take my Treks back and get a different size. However, about 2.5 miles into my run today I started getting blisters, and by the time I was done one of them had been completely torn open.

Does anyone know how to get that to heal as quickly as possible? I'm not looking forward to running with some duct tape on it, so does anyone have any suggestions to keep it clean and covered while clocking miles?
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

barefootmama is offline Member
    Soak in epsom salts and apply coconut oil topically or add to the soak.

norak is offline Senior Member
    Don't use duct tape. Use cloth sports tape instead. It's much better for the skin since it will let air through and also sticks even when wet/sweaty. You can also tape your feet before running to prevent blisters.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Are they too loose? I've never had a single blister when wearing VFFs. I'm not exactly an ultra endurance athlete, but I'm heavy and I did some +10k hikes.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    moleskin to protect the blisters.

by any chance are your VFFs new? when i first got mine my feet got a little raw in a couple of spots, but it goes away...just like with any new pair of shoes.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    If you haven't done any barefooting or minimilist shoe work then you are going to need to ease into it. I have been running 3 times a week in my vibrams for the past year and I still get the occassional blister when I push hard. Take a couple days off and then come back. The ball of my foot is getting tougher and tougher since I have started and I have had less and less blistering.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

davem is offline Senior Member
    I had some KSO's for about 15 months before the dog felt it was time for a footie chew toy. So I bought some treks, and the fit is completely different - they rub in two spots on each foot. I bought my same size from the KSOs, which fit like a tailored glove, and the treks seem to have a longer footbed, and they don't fit as well. These treks are about a month old now, and I've been on the fence with them.

I'm thinking it might be better to try the bikilas.

Norak - thanks, I have some, and I'll use that instead.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Davem,

When my VFF KSO and Treksports were new I had a little issue with blisters also. This quickly went away. I use the blister bandaids from Target. Work great to cover and cushion the area.

Goldengrokette

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    @MightyAl: It's interesting how people differ - as I said I never get blisters in VFFs - not even when I got them last year, and of course ended up overdoing it. But instead of blisters, the bones would hurt - mostly the middle toes and the bottom of the balls of the feet.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    I had some KSO's for about 15 months before the dog felt it was time for a footie chew toy. So I bought some treks, and the fit is completely different - they rub in two spots on each foot. I bought my same size from the KSOs, which fit like a tailored glove, and the treks seem to have a longer footbed, and they don't fit as well. These treks are about a month old now, and I've been on the fence with them.

I'm thinking it might be better to try the bikilas.

Norak - thanks, I have some, and I'll use that instead.
    Since minimlist shows are old hat for you then adaptation is not the problem. Be careful with sizing among models. I don't have experienece with it but I have heard many cases where people have different sizes just from the sprint and the KSO. Awesome things about all the VFFs is they hold up way better then equally priced running shoes.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast