Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shout out to all of you analyzers! page

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member

Shout out to all of you analyzers!

Primal Fuel
    Ok,

This goes to all the people who worry about what reps scheme they are doing, how far down a squat needs to go, Vo2 max numbers, etc. You know who you are!

Squat: Get something heavy put it on your back or chest or whatever floats your boat. Spread feet apart.....and this is the important part....squat all the way down.....this will stop you from being a sissy and will do more work for what you are squatting for. I know you will not be able to lift as much weight at first...this is ok....you are probably weak anyways.

Workout protocols: I don't care who you are reading or what magazine you are reading.....here are the facts.....whatever protocols you follow/research/etc....they have all failed you. Try the PB workout for three months straight and see what happens.....then if no positive changes.....go back to what didn't work for you.

Vo2 max/sprinting/cardio: Slow steady state....I think Mark has explained it enough....take a walk, ride a bike, move slowly at a steady pace. Vo2 max...shut the fuck up.....just doesn't matter...just sprint till you stop...be it 100 yards or 400 yards if you are a complete stud....bet your Vo2 max is maxed out!

Isolation exercises: Stop doing them...all of them....they are wasting your precious time, I could give a flip how much your curl, leg press, shoulder shrug, lat pull down, calf raise, etc. Want better legs....squat, sprint, jump....bigger arms....pull up, chin up.....just do the harder stuff...I know it sucks and is harder....that is the point!

We are all here because whatever we were doing was not working. Fat or athletic you were unhappy with whatever your goals were.....stop worrying about the past and anazysing so much of what you are doing as this obviously didn't work for you. Accept PB and just try it out....it will not kill you but might just free you of your analytic ways!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Thank god. I agree. So sick of seeing lists of reps and stuff like that. I mean, I count how many bottle dips and chinups and pushups I can do, but it's for fun. Lifting heavy stuff for me is hauling two full water jugs up a hill and back down. I don't overthink it. I just do it and feel sore all over! It's wonderful! Less thinky, more do-ey.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Hey, if that works for you, Knifegill, great, but some of us enjoy the challenge of playing with our barbells. If that bores you, then skip the thread, just as I tend to skip over threads about leptin resets or whatever because they're not relevant to how I'm doing PB.

And Darwin, what I'm doing now is working, and that includes my switch to doing PB and to doing Crossfit. Part of that involves (gasp!) counting my reps, and it's not PB Fitness, but PB Fitness is simply another protocol that works well for some people, one that Mark has described as "Crossfit for the rest of us". Many people around here follow a wide range of exercise styles that are, in fact, working for them. They're eating primal, and their exercise styles likely fit the primal rules (move slowly, lift heavy things, sprint) but don't follow the PB fitness thing. So what? If they're powerlifters who want to track their 1RM or whatever, what's that hurting you?

As one of those people who does keep a log of reps and progress, I see nothing wrong with talking about what gets me the best progress, any more than it's wrong for people to talk about the different carb levels that are effective for them.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly:

you probably do curls in the squat rack

Kidding, Crossfit is freaking crazy. Only problem with Crossfit is that it is called a Kip...not a pull up..I was in gymnastics and if I did kips instead of pull ups....then I had to do more pull ups.

There is NOTHING WRONG with keeping track with what you do and I think it is good to do that to make sure you are getting gains in whatever you do. Counting reps....yep that is good too.

I am talking about analyzing the living hell out of the workout instead of doing it...I am talking about people that wonder why they are not getting gains because they are doing some stupid magazine workout or something on tnation. This is about going against conventional wisdom and bucking the trends....Crossfit is one great way to do it if you can. I for one have found something I like and am rocking it...do I count reps...yep....how about keep track....yes again. I am doing it outside in the Texas heat and it is a blast. I want more people to stop worrying about things that don't matter and just go out and kick some ass....not do curls in the squat rack

Most Crossfitters do both kipping and strict pullups (and we also do ring pullups around my gym). There's a purpose to both. Kipping pullups are useful muscle-up prep, for one.

And I don't do curls.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Just I don't think I have ever seen a crossfit pull up and only see kips online. Rings are the gods of strength in the world of what is bad ass!

Rings are fun stuff and freaking hard. I still suck at most ring work--my dips are sad--but I can now do ring pullups unassisted, so I'm getting somewhere anyhow.

Owly's Journal

It took me about a year of rings to get good. Have someone grab the feet to help you up. That shakey feeling during dips and L positions will go away with consistancy. I think you might want to use them more than just what crossfit does to get better at them. It took me about 6 months of work to get the Iron Cross....still the strongest thing I have ever done.

pyro13g is offline Senior Member
    Are you try trying to contradict yourself/be a hypocrite? You sound like everyone else trying to push a program or be the end all say in best and safest ROM for a squat. Primal is not the plan of all plans. Many have failed at it as well or it didn't work for them. I have succeeded at what I've done and who I've read before just as the other millions that got there not doing Primal. Primal didn't take me from 119 to 160 and lean. It didn't take me from 119 to 183 to try and bulk. High volume got me far, HIT got me farther, less is more getting me farther and farther and isolation has it's place building strenght and is critical in rehab. I'm not here because I failed. And the Leg Press is a compound for christs sake.

dado Guest
    Just relax, all of you, right now.

Squat heavy, nah'mean? Ya heard?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast