Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Crest Trail page

Maleficarum is offline Member

Pacific Crest Trail

Primal Fuel
    So I am working on the long-haul planning for a future Pacific Crest Trail hike. That is 2200 miles from Mexico to Canada.

It will be a few years from now before I can actually go anywhere, but as you can imagine, it can take that long to plan for this trip.

Any long haul hikers out there who want to chime in with primal/paleo tips or suggestions?

Paleobird Guest
    Sounds like a good challenge after I'm done with Kilimangaro.

Velocity is offline Senior Member
    Get familiar with dehydrating food. Jerkies, fruits, veggies, pemmican, etc. You may even consider researching and making your own MREs (I know TAWFUNGUY does it). Also, invest in good, versatile equipment that can handle the change in weather patterns.

I'll leave more nuanced stuff to those who have actually done long-distance hiking.
    Are you a college student, trying to navigate college while being Primal? Do you know any other PB college students on a tight budget? Heck, for that matter, are YOU trying to live Primal on a budget? Enroll at Primal University!

For after all what is man in nature? A nothing in relation to infinity, all in relation to nothing, a central point between nothing and all and infinitely far from understanding either.
    -- Blaise Pascal

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like something that I've been thinking about for a long ass time now... I should follow this thread very closely...

grouchybastid is offline Junior Member
    Ohhh, massive jealousy. I recently read "Skywalker: Highs and Lows on the PCT" and was totally captivated at the idea of the hike. I've nothing to offer really, other than my admiration for the idea.

Paleobird Guest
    Wouldn't it be fun to get a bunch of Primal people together to do this hike?

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Awesome plan! There have been a few people doing long hikes on here, but not the PCT.. that's supposed to be one gorgeous hike! See jedigrok and the AT & more hiking advice. I also saw a post on here by someone new who did the AT, but pre-primal.

I think the key is to find a good balance of staying lightweight & high in nutrition. It would be ideal if you have a support system back home; someone who could make jerky, pemmican, dried fruits/veggies, and ship them to you along the way. I've found that my own homemade stuff doesn't last too long without refrigeration, so if you don't have that support system you may need to buy shelf-stable which will either be expensive & good quality or cheap & less than ideal. I hear some people make pemmican that can last for the long haul, but I haven't had that luck (maybe they can chime in here).

Some folks run mostly on fat, etc while hiking, but I tend to up the carbs a bit, especially in higher altitude (as I'm a flat-lander). Otherwise, my legs ache too much. Anyway, I'm not a thru-hiker (yet), as my plans for the CDT were called off for this year (boo), but I'm surrounded by boxes of supplies to remind me daily.

Good luck with your planning... and thanks for starting the thread. Would like to see more info on this as always

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Wouldn't it be fun to get a bunch of Primal people together to do this hike?
    That would be awesome... and maybe some nice folks who don't want to hike could send us primal resupply boxes!

Maleficarum is offline Member
    Jen, those are some really great links. Thank you. In the short term, I am looking at shorter hikes, like the John Muir Trail (215 miles / 21 days). All of the same advice still applies, just on a much smaller scale.

Does anyone know if Mark has ever posted information about long distance hiking / walking?

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Do a search for primal trail food on this site. I think the article i'm thinking of is from 2009. be sure to read all of the comments as well. lots of good primal food suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast