Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr. Kruse'isms page

otzi Guest

Dr. Kruse'isms

Primal Fuel
    Have you guys heard of Dr. Kruse? He has a blog called - Jack Kruse He also regularly posts on Paleohacks as The Quilt.
    I think he is the real deal when it comes to knowledge of nutrition and I would love to pin him down to a Q&A session, but I think he is a very busy man and only has time for snippets of information. In reading his blog, it sounds like he's trying to change things up in the medical world--I wish him success!

That said, here is a list of things he posted on Paleohacks when asked, "What are the most important medical things us paleos don't know?" His answers:

1. The more meat you eat the more iodine you are required to have to convert T4 to T3.......a big reason for plateaus....

2. There seems to be a strong positive correlation between high levels of stress hormones and free-radical damage, and both of these correlate negatively with level of telomerase expression and lead to serious disease states.

3. It is not enough to avoid omega 6's grains dairy and fructose and still think this is paleo.......the situation of the host immunity and evolving gut health is always the most important thing to long term viability. If that is intact the host can get away with a lot more than one thinks.

4. You need feedback from your body to know what paleo really means for your internal metabolic machinery and this answer does not translate to a population......it has a very custom effect. We can draw conclusions from 30000 ft view but there are no rules on what defines paleo for any one person. Context matters.

5. Green tea.....another very paleo thing not talked enough about here. Green tea blocks aromatase enzyme so it increases the sex steroid hormones. Moreover,L-theanine is derived from green tea and crosses the blood-brain barrier. It promotes expression of the neurotransmitter seratonin. There is evidence that l-theanine is neuroprotective, and that it supports relaxation and enhances cognitive function. It appears to decrease the transmission of stimulating neurotransmitters while promoting the transmission of calming neurotransmitters.

6. Another thing I ask my younger paleo's to do is this......maximally eat to protect your brain before the age of 30.....You have to protect you NMDA channels and you must protect against glutamate toxicity in the brain. Excitotoxins destroy the real controller of our metabolism and that is the hypothalamus. Avoid aspartame MSG and sucralose and saccharin at all costs. And if you have used a ton reverse and protect what is left with N acetyl cysteine, tumeric, resveratrol in as high a doses as you can afford. Obviously this is a bigger focus in older paleos i treat but this is huge for young

7. I find it interesting that all of the major risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease (obesity, smoking, poor lipid profile, high blood pressure, diabetes and psychological stress) are associated with key markers of cellular aging (shorter telomere lengths, reduced telomerase activity and higher oxidative damage. That tells me that telomere length is a great measure of what is un paleo......in a sense. Since checking for it is too expensive I use ultra sensitive CRP as a proxy for it because we know it shortens telomeres. Cortisol is another biggie and why I am not a cross fit guy

Here he answers a lot of reader comments:

Good stuff! I read an abstract about #2 recently...it was something about meditation reducing telomerase shortening (probably influenced by stress relief). – Kamal♦ Mar 20 at 2:43 5

Tolerance is not optimization and optimization is something we should all demand because it leads to disease free states. With the food supply and chain so altered now the only way to navigate that mindfield is to test and see what you can handle and what really is optimal for you. Once optimal is sourced, then "wear" those food stuffs out. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 2:43

Kamal that is TA 65......from Astragalus. Geron makes it. I just wrote a big note on it for my practice on FB. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 2:44 4

I find it interesting that all of the major risk factors associated with cardiovascular disease (obesity, smoking, poor lipid profile, high blood pressure, diabetes and psychological stress) are associated with key markers of cellular aging (shorter telomere lengths, reduced telomerase activity and higher oxidative damage. That tells me that telomere length is a great measure of what is un paleo......in a sense. Since checking for it is too expensive I use ultra sensitive CRP as a proxy for it because we know it shortens telomeres. Cortisol is another biggie and why I am not a cross fit guy – The Quilt Mar 20 at 2:58 1

But for balance my reading leads me t believe that lengthening a telomere is just one very small part in how these proteins work in our cells. For example we know there is huge differences in somatic cells and germ cell lines in humans. In non-dividing cells, other factors such as mitochondrial dysfunction, glycation and lipofuscin accumulation may be much more important for cell aging and death than replicative senescence. Mice have very long telomeres and appear to die from mitochondrial failure, cancer or other reasons not directly connected to telomere length. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 3:10 11

So we have much to learn and that is why medicine is an art wrapped in a science. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 3:10

Dr. K - how can I reduce my stress hormone levels - life is so stressful (kids, job, relationship, not to mention all the news) what do you recommend for stress reduction?? – Bree Mar 20 at 4:26 2

The first thing you must do Bree is control your thoughts......sounds crazy but cortisol is a huge issue that flys under the radar. This is the source of the mind body connection. I usually tell patients to go buy Robin Sharma's book, The Monk who sold his ferrari" and really read it. Once you read it I think you will understand how important it is to control what you think. Once that is done then I go after the leaky gut big time.....I want to assess how "leaky" it is because that determines how aggressive I am in going after it. Then I focus on leptin resistance and leptin sensitivity. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 13:25 1

It must be restored because leptin resistance leads to insulin resistance then ends in you guessed it adrenal resistance and hogh cortisol levels. Stress = cortisol. High Cortisol and high insulin is what I call the grim reaper for mitochondria and telomeres – The Quilt Mar 20 at 13:26 2

Another thing I ask my younger paleo's to do is this......maximally eat to protect your brain before the age of 30.....You have to protect you NMDA channels and you must protect against glutamate toxicity in the brain. Excitotoxins destroy the real controller of our metabolism and that is the hypothalamus. Avoid aspartame MSG and sucralose and saccharin at all costs. And if you have used a ton reverse and protect what is left with N acetyl cysteine, tumeric, resveratrol in as high a doses as you can afford. Obviously this is a bigger focus in older paleos i treat but this is huge for young – The Quilt Mar 20 at 13:57 1

i apologize for the spelling. sticky keys. I need a new laptop. Maybe time for the ipad two. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 14:28 1

Green tea.....another very paleo thing not talked enough about here. Green tea blocks aromatase enzyme so it increases the sex steroid hormones. Moreover,L-theanine is derived from green tea and crosses the blood-brain barrier. It promotes expression of the neurotransmitter seratonin. There is evidence that l-theanine is neuroprotective, and that it supports relaxation and enhances cognitive function. It appears to decrease the transmission of stimulating neurotransmitters while promoting the transmission of calming neurotransmitters. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 15:05 1

There is experimental evidence that l-theanine may be protective against strokes and may protect against the glutamate toxicity associated with Alzheimer’s disease. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 15:05 4

glutamate toxicity = excitotxin damage = leptin resistance.......critical nodes of knowledge here. You need to understand how paleo works from a metabolic 30000 ft level. That is my life's goal. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 15:06 9

And Kamal when you think you or your websie knows it all.......its time to close it down and go read for a while and you will find out how time in science puts alot of asphalt in your review mirror. What you thought was solid info evolves second by second. You must read and constantly swin in controversy and embrace paradox, ambiguiety and enigma. Keep an open mind and constantly challenge yourself and your beliefs. We are made stronger but challenges us. A good doctor learns more from failure than from success of his treatment, wisdom and patients. – The Quilt Mar 20 at 15:26 1

For more Paleo hacks: Doctors (Dr. K, Ed, etc)...what are the most important medical things us paleos don't know about? - Paleo Hacks.com

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    when you think you or your websie knows it all.......its time to close it down and go read for a while and you will find out how time in science puts alot of asphalt in your review mirror. What you thought was solid info evolves second by second. You must read and constantly swin in controversy and embrace paradox, ambiguiety and enigma. Keep an open mind and constantly challenge yourself and your beliefs.
    I find this one particularly amusing, given the frequency with which Dr. K makes hardline definitive (often absolute) statements. But I'm still glad he's out there doing what he's doing, trying to help as many people as he can reach with what he's learned.

Digby is offline Senior Member
    People often become hyper-passionate out of a great success and losing 130+ lbs has done that to JK. You know how reformed smokers are often the most anti-smoking, etc. I'm trying to appreciate his generous motives and forgive his rough edges blogging. Which is not to say people shouldn't call him on things. If you can't stand the heat, etc....applies to the rough and tumble of the blogosphere. I'm surprised he's not lost his temper with some people who are either abysmally ignorant or rude-- or expect medical consultations via postings. It will be our loss if he quits blogging.
    This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
    Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Paleobird Guest
    I have written him a couple of PMs with questions about my epilepsy and both times he has replied quickly with interesting useful information. He must already be insanely busy between his practice and blogging. I was really impressed and grateful that he took the time to help me that way.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I take what info I can get, where I can get it, and process what I can. Dr Kruse has a lot of interesting things to say. I would much rather hear from someone who has "been there, done that" when it comes to un-doing a hormone/weight mess. A lot of people who have always been thin say a lot of things about why they are thin, but what do they know? They were thin already.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    Unfortunately, his blog is unreadable. The format, spelling and grammar errors, and... the excessive use of ... ellipses... I'm sure it has good information, but I can get so much more value for my time by reading Stephan, Chris M., Chris K, Peter, K. Harris, J. Stanton, etc.

lolov is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    I take what info I can get, where I can get it, and process what I can. Dr Kruse has a lot of interesting things to say. I would much rather hear from someone who has "been there, done that" when it comes to un-doing a hormone/weight mess. A lot of people who have always been thin say a lot of things about why they are thin, but what do they know? They were thin already.
    +1 agreed!

angieonthegogo is offline Senior Member
    Does Dr. Kruse have a FB page? Did a quick search and couldn't find it...

He does. HERE. You have to be logged in to see his page and you have to be his friend to read his posts/content. He pretty much friends anyone who asks near as I can tell.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    Yeah, I take things where I can get them too, but the more I read and deal with Dr. K the more this whole cult-of-personality thing seems to have gone to his head. He has all the qualities I ran from in CW doctors. The whole *because I said so* schtick and that kinda offended twitch he develops whenever someone doesn't blindly accept his authority.

Dude went paleo and got thin. Not a new story.

And quite frankly, however beneficial the whole *leptin* thing might be, I look at pics of Dr. K and Dr. Richards and I think - yeah, that's not really what I'm going for.

Like you, I had issues with skinny barstids like Mark Sisson early on because hell, he was a world class athlete and in great shape before he ever set about hammering out the PB. But then I see success stories like Dave's (and countless others) of people just as sloppy fat as me getting lean and fit on PB and I can't help but credit it.

I've personally had good success with PB (and IF, though that's become a dirty word around the Leptin posts).

In any case, I'm officially done with Dr. Kruse.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast